Messing around with halftone carving

Finally got around to making mine!

1 Like

Never posted mine …

2 Likes

What materials/ paint method did you use?

Heres my shot at a halftone picture, I think it came out awesome found a source of cheap canvas’s as well, my local Home depot sells 24"x24"x1/4" MDF panels for around 5$

6 Likes

I have been experimenting on white foam-core board that I spray paint black.
I will show results when the experimentation is done.
Still trying to figure optimum settings.

1 Like

I REEAAAALLLYY LIKE HALFTONER APP!!!
This one is done without the offset.

5 Likes

Thought I might add a helpful tip for those using MDF and don’t necessarily want the natural mdf color for the dots. I normally will cut before I paint. I will then paint the whole board the desired color for the dots, then take a very fine foam roller and very lightly paint the background color on. By lightly I mean very light pressure with very little paint on the roller. It takes a little practice, but will greatly improve the look of your projects. Hope this is helpful!

6 Likes

Yea I have thought about ways to do this, but I have done very fine holes that will fill in I’m
Thinking about trying this translucent spray paint I saw at the craft store as long as the base coat is dark it should only color the “holes”

1 Like

I was able to get it to work on relatively fine/small holes too

1 Like

I wonder how well it would come out on pre-painted colored MDF like this:
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/yellow-mdf-sheet

Would be awesome but the price is high on that mdf

The top layer is easy to paint before cutting , I wish I could color the inside of the mdf, I’m working on a few ideas on how to do that I’ll post pics when I get a good solution.

Wow, your like a mystic or something. I had the exact same effect. I will be fixing my set screw and trying again!

2 Likes

These make me dizzy… :dizzy_face:

All good. I also upped my pot on the Y axis. now it is working like a charm I have done 3 of these this week and they look great.

1st time I tried the lines it wigged out on me. I wonder now that I am ‘set up’ if the lines will work better? Guess we will find out.

Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

This is my first stab at half toning using lines instead of dots. Initially I had issues with the Universal GCode sender, where it would not scale correctly. It was cutting the entire picture in a 3inch rectangle. I downloaded the Platform version and it resolved the issue.

Jason’s tool will be keeping me busy for many weekends. I love the magic of this.

BTW, I used plywood that was painted black, and then cut.

6 Likes

I actually have an order for 3, 24"x24" “halftone posters”

do you mind sharing your halftoner settings for that image?

I think I used 3mm spacing and 3mm max width. Used the setting to cut each line twice as well. It cleaned it up a lot and left no feathers.

Thanks!