My DIY-carve

We have daylight for about 18hrs at the moment (Sunrise-Sunset) which will drop down to like 5hrs in December. I am in the southern part of Norway and up north they have midnight sun at the moment (and 2months with no sunrise in the winter…)

This week alone we loose 20 minutes of sunlight :wink:

I am torn between making a complete new bed or adapting the existing one. The gantry will probably be kept as-is untill I find time to redo that one aswell.

Very interested/attracted to the idea of using epoxy/aggregate, not sure I can cope with the weight :sweat_smile:
The footprint => base weight of 95kg, with nothing attached, gantry or otherwise. I can lighten the structure some by making a hole in the middle,… down to like 70kg…

So with hardware and gantry 100kg easily within reach :rofl::sweat_smile:

Picked up a lot of aluminium today, about 90kg worth :sweat_smile::rofl:
50xx/60xx/70xx-series and some square profiles.

A machining company was cleaning up their surplus inventory, got a good price :slight_smile:

wow. I wish my trunk looked like that.

Looks like a Saab 9-3 Trunk

Old BMW 320D (E46)

Finally got my butt in gear, this year upgrade is based on a new controller, taking advantage of higher voltage and better stepper drivers. Also trying to improve my controller, not only aesthetically but also functionality.

Just starting laying things up, its the little things that take time…

The internals will consist of:

• Arduino UNO
  • 48V / 400W PSU
  • 4x Leadshine DM556 stepper drivers
  • 2x step down converters, to step voltage down to 12V and 5V
  • 2x relays to trigger Makita and Coolant
  • Function buttons, reset switch etc.

The case is 19mm MDF, just using something I had on hand.

2 Likes

Looks clean!

I am not done yet… :wink:

1 Like

Geez even your wiring is perfect! you should see mine LMAO

Scroll to the top to see my current controller, still no lid on it ! :wink:

this used to be my control unit :wink:

1 Like

A little progress update, 4mm acrylic used as panel plate that the aviation plugs mount onto. Also managed to solder up the motor->plug wires before family life came into play.

Through work I have access to vinyl sign printers and made silver name plates for the plugs/Arduino pin board.

1 Like

you are killing me with your clean wiring :wink:

Minor update, but no images to show yet.

Soldered up the signal wires for all axes and briefly tested the X and Z axes.
At the moment running full step (1/1 stepping) after performing an autotune. Compared to the TB6560 drivers I use at the moment it is very quiet as 1/1step with those is quite harsh sounding.

With the TB6560’s and 24V PSU my max real-life RPM limit is about 500 which equates to about 2500mm/min for rapids. (5mm travel per turn)
With a 48V PSU (dialed down to 45V) I should expect an ~80% increase in rapids, but the main benefit is the usefull torque curve is pushed higher at higher feeds.

See image below:
SMBFig2

With the TB6560’s I have 2500mm/min for rapids and 500-1000mm/sec*2 at 24V.
With the DM556’s I easily got 4000mm/min but have not dialed it in further. Did not play with acceleration rates as I simply ran out of time.

Regarding speed I have one limiting factor which differ from Xcarve which is full step resolution (travel)
I will use SFU1605 screws an all axes, and sport 5mm travel per turn => 5mm / 200step = 0.025mm
In effect it is geared down compared to the Xcarve, more torque, finer step resolution at the expence of all-out rapid speed

Since my travel is 5mm / turn and steppers have a typical max RPM somewhere around 1000-1200 my absolute possible max rapids is 5000-6000mm/min. The Xcarve have a much higher travel per motor step thus faster.

Anxiously waiting for the 4th driver to arrive… :slight_smile: Once it does the new controller is actually ready to be used, remaining all secondary bells and wisstles like buttons/relays and the estetics :smiley:

Quick update:

Still waiting for the 4th stepper driver but borrowed a DM542 while I am waiting, so I could get the bare controller up and running. Wired it all up yesterday and have now briefly tested that everything works - which it does :slight_smile:

Base parameters at this time which seem to work is:
$110=4500mm/min
$111-112=5000mm/min
$120-122=500mm/s^2
Drivers are set to 3A RMS
Running 1/2step on all axes (400step per revolution, theoretical resolution per step = 0.0125mm or about half a thou inch)

Aside from the speed the sound is much smoother than the TB6560´s, despite running coarser step. The DM´s have only been hooked up and done a quick autotune sequence before I started playing with the speed/acceleration.

Excited :smiley:

I now have two complete controllers:
Old 24V and TB6560-based
New, 45V and DM556/DM542 based (PSU dialled down from 48 to 45V)
Time willing I may make a comparison video.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see what this thing is capable of. Great job!

Thanks @StuartPearson, so am I :smiley:

Now much progress visually as I have been in the process of wiring the control buttons etc, its the small stuff that takes time!
At the moment the controller is operational, with homing switches and Pause/Resume/Abort buttons complete.
Also spent some time debugging as my Z would suddenly only move up, did eventually find my loose wire :slight_smile:

I have decided that my relays will be outside the controller and placed in a separate housing the the AC outlets. This mean I will need to make a quick-connect signal wire between the controller and relay box, this also add better flexibility as far as placement goes. Separating AC from DC is also a benefit.

An observation:
My X rapid is less than the other two axes, it is on X I am using the loaner driver (DM542) which is different than the others (DM556) Both Y & Z will hit 5000mm/min rapids but X will not, hopefully I can get a bump-up when my 4th DM556 arrives.

1 Like

The first two test carves with the new controller is done, main objective was to test/verify that all is in good working order.

HDU plastic sheet carved at 4000mm/min for X/Y/Z - no problem, it ripped with a 3F bit. Full WoC (3mm) and 3mm DoC at 8-17k RPM

Aluminium stock, 4mm 2F bit used.
Here is chip thickness the key parameter which suggest 850mm/min for feed at 17k rpm. Tested down to 6mm DoC and 1mm WoC => 5.1cm^3/min in MRR.
This isnt a test that highlight the capacity of the new controller, but overhead is always welcome :slight_smile:

For fun I tried to hold back the X-axis during rapid transitions (4000mm/min for X) by hand, I was completely unable to provoce it to stall :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would love to see some footage :slight_smile:

@StuartPearson and others who are interested.

This was the very first carve done to test cutting strategy and what I was achieving in dimensional accuracy.
Before rebuilding the controller I couldn’t go past 2500mm/min (rapids) consistently, this time 4000mm/min appeared to be a breeze.

Cutting parameters:
Fusion360 2D Adaptiver Clearing strategy used
17k RPM
4000mm/min feed rate
DoC 8mm
WoC 0.1mm
Chipload 0,11mm
Chip thickness 0.037mm
MRR a modest 3.2ccm/min

Here you go, 1st half :

2nd half:

1 Like