My Journey to a Rotary Axis on the X-Carve

@MalcolmStanley - I apologize for the extremely late response to your question…I just saw it. The skull was an STL file I download from Thingiverse. I used Aspire to setup the carve for rotary axis carving. Aspire unwraps your starting cylinder size and unwraps the STL file onto the unwrapped cylinder. G-Code was then generated using a rotary post processor and sent to the X-Carve using Mach3.

I found Dan Mauch and he is building me a controller. so back on track…

2 Likes

I didn’t happen to see the link to where you got your rotary axis from.

I bought it from ebay from this vendor: prettyworthshop on eBay

The item is no longer available, but they do have others.

Update:

After much delay on my part I got my new controller from Dan wired in and working. Calibrated last night. Setup is now an x-carve 1000mm, with the updated large rail x-axis, connected to a custom controller using Gecko controllers for X/Y/Y/Z/A , running Mach 3 as a G-code sender.

I will post as-builts once I pretty them up.

My next step is to buy the A (rotary) axis and add it into the system.
I am looking in EBay and I notice that the usual setup is an 80mm 3 chuck head + tail for $250-$300, or a 100mm 3 chuck head + tail with a larger motor, for $350-$400.

I’ve seen 125mm 4 chuck heads for sale for ~$75 + some outrageous shipping.

my ultimate goal is to put lengths of cut tree in this thing and turn them into statues.
As a starter I thought I would tear up some fence posts.

I think the 4 chuck head would work better for fence posts, and I think the larger head would allow for larger pieces of tree, but I cannot find anyone who sells that as a configuration. Wondering here if anyone has any advice?

so like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261952098137

I got the 80mm 3 jaw chuck one…4 jaws make more sense, but I just use a small faceplate to attach to square stock. I raise the whole thing on blocks that attach to the wasteboard.

Don’t think that the size of the jaw will limit you…just get a faceplate and screw it to larger stock, that works great. I do it on the CNC as well as on my lathe.

1 Like

I have a split top table and the plan is to float this inside the split.
Need to figure out how to attach it, that is the next fun challenge.

Thanks for your help guys. good to go…

1 Like

Happiness is a new ROTARY AXIS!

6 Likes

That is awesome, now get it attached and carve something :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, just got to figure out how exactly to get it attached… hmmm…

1 Like

I want one… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Rotary Axis is physically installed.
Not a trivial project.

a little worried because the drive end fell off the table before I got it bolted down,
and now the large end of the belt drive is ‘wobbly’.

New machine. I swore like a sailor.
Anybody know if you can remove and replace those?

1 Like

z-axis is not deep enough the way I have mounted the A axis:
fully extended, I cannot zero to the centre of the A axis.

who among us can help me understand the mechanics of putting on a longer Z?
I am following this on eBay: is this what I need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-SLIDE-5-6-TRAVEL-FOR-CNC-ROUTER-3D-PRINTER-PLASMA/272419744906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If I buy this, what would I need to do to then mount it?
will the deWalt mount fit it, or would I need a new one?
What about the Z-motor? Would I need a different mount for that?

Any insight appreciated…

I guess this might be better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-SLIDE-5-6-TRAVEL-X-CARVE-READY-BELT-COUPLED-CNC-ROUTER-/272686044987?hash=item3f7d5ad73b:g:A8AAAOSw8gVX8omp

You only have to email them and tell them you have an X-Carve and they will drill and tap the back holes for free. And if you have the DeWalt mount they will also do the same for that too. They also provide some mounting bolts for free. This is a direct bolt on for the X-Carve. you don’t need any thing else. As for the belt drive model they have it in the same size as the direct drive model but if you chase around their site the also offer a 7" to 8" model in the belt drive class(or they use to.)

You can buy any of their units X-Carve ready.

Thanks guys. I ordered it.

Wow that is some creative stuff. I am going to get an xcarve and then when I get the hang of it I am going to upgrade to something like this. I really like the results.

1 Like