Need help tried getting picsender to work for jtech and lost easel

Try this post processor for using the laser with Vcarve.

Ryan_Edwards_laser_test_post_inch.pp (4.5 KB)
Ryan_Edwards_laser_test_post_mm.pp (4.5 KB)

Are you running your test gcode file, or just jogging the laser power?

If your jogging, are you selecting the M03 button first to activate the PWM? At S0. the J-Tech laser will not come on either. You have to select the M03 button, then Jog S to a higher value before laser will come on.

1 Like

There is an issue that you will run into with Easel. For some reason the maximum spindle rpm ($30) must be set to 1. (NOTE the decimal)

@PhilJohnson can provide more information about this.

OK so for my 1000mm machine I need to change

$130=790.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=790.000 (y max travel, mm)

correct?

Yes, If you have the original kit.

I loaded the suggested 1.0c

After homing the machine in easel and shutting it down for a bit I came back to try and get the rest sorted out here and now easel works but while picsender will connect it wont do anything. I clicked status and got

Alarm,MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,WPos:0.000,27.940,-2.540,Pin:000|0|0000

I have no clue how or why easel started working again but it did and other than not being able to do the machine setup I am hoping it will work correct. I have not tried carving anything yet since messing it all up still trying to work out the kinks. only thing I have run is my test file in pic sender

Usually that is the way that grbl comes up if you have homing enabled. Just home the machine and it will be ok.

What were you doing when you got the alarm?

If you can’t home your machine you can clear the alarm with $X, but be careful as your Machine Zero will be at the location where the spindle is when you start grbl.

1 Like

Just figured that out accidentally thanks seems to be working now

So I guess only problem now is to get the laser feature working so I can select laser and have the acceleration work correctly and then make sure what I have to do so selecting spindle makes easel work correct and I should be good to go after buying picsender

still no clue why laser wont give me an M03 M05 but spindle will with both my laser and my spindle relay. I tried turning the S+ and S- and still no laser on any setting

I’m not sure if PicSender will let you enter commands with the trial version, but try this:

With your system setup for laser work (specifically $30=255. $31=0. and $32=1)

Enter M03 S64 in the “Do Cmd” box. You have to press the “Do CMD” button, using carriage return will not send the command.

That should turn the laser on at 1/4 power.

Enter M05 in the “Do CMD” box and press “Do CMD” that should turn the laser off.

What happens?

1 Like

Yes it will. The Do Cmd will execute commands in the Demo. The trial restrictions are, the Editor & GRBL buttons are disabled and it will only run approximately half of a gcode file. Everything else works.

1 Like

The laser turned on with M03 S64 and I entered M05 it turned off

Order placed for Picsender hopefully be up and running files tomorrow :slight_smile:

So whats the solution to make it send those commands Larry?

1 Like

It depends on the software you are using.

If you use PicEngraver then that program will set up the appropriate G-code for you.

If you use Vcarve to do engraving you need to set up a bit definition, similar to this one. Notice that spindle speed is set to 255 which will turn the laser on at full power.

With this bit definition and the post processor that I set up for you, Vcarve generates G-code files that start out like this:

G17
G90
G20
M05
S0
G0X0.0000Y0.0000
M03
G0X2.3772Y8.3065
G1F30.0 S255
G1Y8.7405F150.0 S255
G1X2.2014 S255
G1Y8.7987 S255
G1X2.6185 S255
G1Y8.7405 S255
G1X2.4426 S255
G1Y8.3065 S255
G1X2.3772 S255
G1F30.0 S255
G1Y8.7405F150.0 S255

There are other programs that can do it.

1 Like

ok thanks I will give it a try tomorrow with v-carve I used something like that with my test file for laser tool but used jtechs pp file. I am going to hold off on picengraver or piclaser till i get a better handle on things and start getting a little return on my investment here

1 Like

That’s true for JTech’s 0.9g.

Depends on whose firmware you are using. If you are using a 1.0c variant then the value in $30, or above that value is full power.

If you have $30 set to 255, then S255 or S6000, or S12000 is still full power.

OK so still got some bugs to work out. Made another quick test file with the new pp from larry and laser tool setup on vcarve. I get full power laser on when spindle is selected but when laser is selected it is not as powerful but does turn on now when file is sent (still no control with M03/M05 button). Also with the accel at 8000 it is pretty violent movement and the image text is out of alignment. I slowed it down to 6000 and it was less violent but still off on alignment. In addition I am getting a soft limit every time on start even after homing that I have to ignore to send the file I tried the old file and old grbl laser and spindle file settings and still the same result. I am wondering if registering the picsender changed anything in how the program runs now since that seems to be a new issue after registering.