Need help tried getting picsender to work for jtech and lost easel

Can you upload your laser.txt and spindle.txt files for me to look at?

Spindle.txt (1.1 KB)
Laser.txt (1.1 KB)

I thought that you were working in inches. If you are working in inches then change $13 to 1 in both of those files ($13=1).

If you are just using the M03/M05 button in laser mode then you will not get any laser action. The default for the S word when you start your system is 0 (which is laser off).

With your system idle and laser selected enter S64 in the Do CMD box and then press Do CMD.

That will set the S word to 64 (1/4 laser power).

Now use the M03/M05 buttons to turn it on and off.

If you want a different power level you have to change the S word.

Post the first 20 lines of the new laser G-code file.

Yes I am working in inches. I will change those files and try the laser command when I get home. The file I made and sent to the machine is on my garage computer so I will post that when I get home. It did not seem like I was getting max power out of the laser but that may have been because it was moving around so fast.

In Laser Mode, Zero S and then set the S jog value at 127 and select the S+ button once. The laser should come on at half power if the grbl setting $30= is set at 255. If you select the S- button, it should turn back off. Then select the S+ button once again for half power, then selecting the M03/M05 button will turn the Laser on at half power & then back off.

This is only for jogging the laser power and has nothing to do with running a gcode file. It requires the gcode file to have the M03 to turn on the PWM, S values to control the laser power and the M05 to turn off the PWM/Laser. If the Send M03 is not selected, the gcode file will run after selecting Send without the laser coming on.

1 Like

I wanted to be able to toggle it on and off to make sure it was starting where I wanted on a project. I was selecting a value and clicking send M03 and nothing I will try clicking the S+ then turning it on and see if I get different results

Make sure the jogging Mode is set to Inc. (G91), Zero S then set a S jog value of 5. Every time the S+ is clicked, it will jog the laser power up incrementally that value. You will see the DRO values for S reflect this also.

The Send M03 selection is only for when you run a gcode file. It has nothing to do with jogging. Have you read the Tutorial yet? It’s in the Help menu bottom right on the screen.

1 Like

I tend to dive into things and try and figure them out by tinkering I did not know there was a tutorial I will check that out thanks

Quick Engrave 1.gcode (15.8 KB)

laser jog buttons working fine I just wasn’t using them the right way. Changed $13 to 1 and machine is still erratic speed causing misaligned picture and laser does not seem to use full power barely burns but then again could be the speed making it not burn in. Is it a setting in V-carve I need to change for the toolpath speed or picsender

If I make something in easel generat gcode then change z movements to M03 M05 commands and bring it back into easel it works perfect no burn dots and full power laser. The problem is that is more hassle to do that way and also forced to turn laser on at start for the spindle is on verification. I need a way to slow vcarve speeds and changing tool speeds doesnt seem to do that.

I’ve been following this thread for several days because I’m having the same issue,( laser wont turn on) using larry’s 1.0c hex and pic sender. first off I want to commend everyone who’s spending so much time trying to resolve this for Ryan and by extension me. I have read all associated posts and jtech instructions several times. I’m missing something…probably obvious.
I’m using vcarve desktop and the jtech pp no Z. I have set up a tool as described for laser. any help greatly appreciated.

When Metric is not selected in PicSender, it automatically sets the grbl setting to $13=1. Selecting Metric changes it to $13=0.

Your gcode file has the Feedrate at 150 Inches Per Minute. That is way to fast for Vector Laser engraving and will cause erratic movement when constantly changing directions and cause light burns. PicSender is not the problem.

Experiment with the feedrate setting in V-Carve. Try 50 IPM.

1 Like

I went in and tried 50 was still too fast then tried 1 and pic sender didn’t seem to like that and crashed. The picture Larry posted above has the laser tool at 150 IPM. I will try changing tool settings and make a new file after I grab some dinner

M03 DOESN’T seem to turn laser on but as stated above clicking S+ will bring the power up in increments and THEN M05 kills it. Try the file Larry made for me posted above for the PP seems to work just need to solve my speed issues now

Try the Post Processor Larry attached. The PP Ryan was using did not generate the gcode properly.

1 Like

And like Frank said, you guys are awesome taking time out of your day for us Noobs on here :slight_smile:

Sorry, I was testing. That’s most likely the problem. The G-code file that you posted looks good with the exception of the 150 ipm feed rate. It is in the G-code file. Change the speed for you laser tool and re-generate the G-code.

Is there a set rate to use or does that depend on the job?

There are others here on the forum that can give you a better answer to this question than I can.

Are you down to just this one problem now when you use PicSender?