New app: Super Gradient Generator

Hi all,
This is an instruction and discussion post for a new app that will be released soon.

You can find a video of this app in action here: https://youtu.be/HU1sXGzx5fI

There are 3 modes for this app. Each mode is based on the number of shapes you initially select in Easel. You can select 0, 1, or 2 shapes to achieve different effects. The input parameters change depending on the number of shapes selected.

Mode 1: No shapes selected
This mode allows you to create a gradient square or circle based on the inputs.

Curve Type: This affects how the gradient “feels” or transitions from the highest point to the lowest. See appendix A for how these curves look.
Custom Curve: Allows you to input custom bezier parameters for a custom curve.
Start Depth: Any depth you want. The gradient is generated from the outside in.
End Depth:* Any depth you want.
Steps: The number of gradient steps that make up the gradient. The more steps, the finer / smoother the end gradient, but the longer it takes to carve.
Direction: Allows you to select the gradient direction. Usually this is “Inwards”, however you can have the gradient move across the shape in a specific direction.
Angle: Allows you to have a custom gradient direction if “Specific Angle” is selected in the option above.
Shape Type:** “rectangle” or “ellipse”
Shape Height / Width: Define shape height / width
Gradient Length %: Only affects “inward” direction. At 100% the gradient will try and go as far into the shape as possible. To only have the gradient travel a certain distance, specify a percentage of how far to go.

Mode 2: 1 Shape Selected, closed or open.
This mode allows you to create a gradient within the specific shape selected.

Curve Type: This affects how the gradient “feels” or transitions from the highest point to the lowest. See appendix A for how these curves look.
End Depth: Any depth you want.
Steps: The number of gradient steps that make up the gradient. The more steps, the finer / smoother the end gradient, but the longer it takes to carve.
Direction: Allows you to select the gradient direction. Usually this is “Inwards”, however you can have the gradient move across the shape in a specific direction.
**Angle: Allows you to have a custom gradient direction if “Specific Angle” is selected in the option above.
Shape Type: “self”, “rectangular” or “circular”. Currently only “self” is supported.
Gradient Length %: Only affects “inward” direction. At 100% the gradient will try and go as far into the shape as possible. To only have the gradient travel a certain distance, specify a percentage of how far to go.

Mode 3: 2 shapes selected, open or closed
This mode allows you to create a gradient between the curves of two shapes.

End Depth: Any depth you want.
Resolution: each curve is split into tiny steps, this parameters affects how many steps there are. Higher numbers will give a smoother result, but are slower.
Fix Path: Occasionally the end point from one path will not connect to the right end point of the other path. This checkbox will toggle the connections and fix this issue.
Remove Original Shape: What it says.

Appendix A: Curve Types
linear, ease-in, ease-out, ease-in-out, inner-radius, outer-radius, custom

Happy Carving,
Ethan

14 Likes

Dude! Your apps are what make Easel useful for the more creative carvers among us. Thank you so very much!!

2 Likes

Very cool Ethan!

Bravo! Thank you for your talent, time and gifts.

This is amazing!

When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When?When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When? When?

As soon as the Inventables development team finishes the final code review, then it should be ready to go live.

Now I can finally make a killer Ping Pong paddle and handle all in one solid piece. This will transform CNC for the Easel users out there. U rock!

Holy moly, this will be amazing. Thank you so much.

I can forsee spending a day with scrapwood just playing around with this!

I can’t wait to try this out

Ethan thanks a lot for your efforts! That will definitely change the way easel works and make it more useful!
I can’t wait to try it too!

Hi All, I just got word that the app is now live! Give it a shot and let me know your feedback! It’ll be neat to see what you all can create!

7 Likes

Hello Ethan. Fantastic! but . . . . . . previewing and simulation are taking a long, long time.
I can generate previews but only really simple shapes have simulated. I have attached a file, I don’t think this is overly ambitious but if i can’t simulate it ? will also forward this to inventables but if any of them are monitoring this let me know and save me the job

copied an icon from easel library and put it into the app

cheers richard

Hi Richard, your link says that the project hasn’t been shared yet.

Mind re-sharing?

It does take a while to simulate depending on the parameters chosen b/c of the overlapping shapes. It is also dependent on your cut setting too, Conservative cut settings usually take longer for the system to process. At least this is what I’ve found.

Love this…just spent an hour tinkering and applying to a project I have had in the back of my mind…

My experience so far.

1. Watch the video and then watch it again
  2. Read through the post by Dr Ethan
  3. Watch the video again
  4. Tinker

I have not experience much slowness, i am rendering a complex shape, a gun stock…it did time out once or twice, so I i layered in my design in 4 separate operations.

So far so good, love this app…

2 Likes

have saved the link so try that

Hey Richard,

yep I get some of the same issues that you get. The biggest issue is the number of steps. If you turn that down it will process faster. So its a bit of a balancing act to get the resolution that you want and still have it process through in a decent time frame.

Steps to around 30 and it went through much easier. I watched the you tube video and steps to 100 seemed to be the default process for him.
ball nose bit on a piece of scrap birch ply it came out really well

3 Likes

Was watching the video and trying to play along

So far so good…already made a few things, very cool

In the vid, section about the belly curve, an intersect tool is seen ?

…is there an intersect tool in this current build? or is that “next version?”

Looking forward to time to try this, what bit or bits are you using? So I have a starting point. Thanks Again, video was great.