New Calendar for the New Year!

I was going to do the Xbox controller but then saw that pendent being used on another CNC running Mach3 and went with that. It is really handy for jogging the machine.

1 Like

I have the plans for Daveā€™s original ā€œall plywoodā€ version and nearly built it when I ran across the XCarve, of course now he has a version using steel. If he had the steel version before the XC I probably would have bought hisā€¦ How do you like the controller he uses versus the Grbl\Arduino setup on the XC?

I am still learning to use Mach3 but it seems like there is more functions Iā€™ll be able to do in the long run. I am also looking at other software options out there. Having a designated motor controller is nice and adding other options like probes for a touch plate, limit switches, and a relay for the spindle is easy with a breakout board. I will probably do a video or article about some of the pros and cons to each at some point once Iā€™m a little more familiar with this setup. (Not going to trash the XC because I still think its a good machine).

1 Like

Mach3 has been awesome to work with. I assume you know that the tab key brings up your virtual pendant, but that is quite helpful. Also, this video is how I set up my touch plate:

The nice thing about Gecko and Mach3 is that it ALWAYS ā€œjust works.ā€

Thanks! Yeah, definitely not looking at any XC trashing, Iā€™m just really interested in the GarageWorx experience, since I almost went that direction, and I liked what I saw in Daveā€™s videos.

I think the Mach3 \ Controller combo also provides a 4th axis control, which was a plus over the XC, but that didnt win me over, it would be nice longer term however.

The machine looks very stable right out of the box, and Iā€™m wondering what your thoughts were about itā€™s construction, rigidity (since Iā€™ve had to do a lot of XC axis stiffening, and Iā€™m about to replace Z) and ease of useā€¦

Thanks!

What I like most is that I can write whatever code I want for my tool zero button. I added code that requires me to touch the plate to the tool so it can verify the digital input detects the touch before the zero routine will start. That solves the problem of the Z axis trying to push the touch plate through the bottom of the machine if there is a problem.

Cool - can you share that code? I usually click over to diagnostics, and touch it to see the light come on, click back and auto zero.

what water based poly do you use? I tried one a couple of times on complicated jobs where there is a lot of thin lines to cover and it dried uneven leaving thick and thin filled spots.

No problem. I will send it when I get home.

On that one I used just some rattle can spray poly but most of the time I use spray lacquer. Projects that have a lot of detail I try and avoid using anything that creates a thick film finish for that reason alone.

That looks fantaztic. Would love to get the gcode for that! I did this exact project but i did it free hand with a palm router and a good base plate! And took me about 16 hours of carving. Went a little crozs eyed for a while after all that tiny detail.

What design software are you using? I wouldnā€™t run someone elseā€™s Gcode as itā€™s set for their machine and bits. You should create your own toolpaths and Gcode using your software.