New Video on Epoxy Inlays Test

I just posted a new video on testing epoxy inlays using acrylic paint and tempera paint. I show both success and fails. This is a how to get started with inlayed projects for the new folks as well as some old timers. Who would have thought that tempera paint would work!

YouTube Channel: Paw Paw’s Workshop

21 Likes

This was in answer to several questions asked on the forum. Hope this helps

1 Like

Another nice job Phillip. :+1:

Thanks. Took a little longer than planned

I thought it was very clear and to the point. Your machine runs a lot faster then mine though.

2 Likes

Especially when I run the camera at 4X speed. Lol

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I believe you are doing a great job and should be helpful to the whole community.

2 Likes

Thank you. I can’t believe that it has been a month already since I started doing this

1 Like

Wow, this has been extremely popular video. Thanks it would seem that everyone would like to see similar videos in the future

1 Like

really useful video. thanks for sharing

1 Like

I think this is great. Epoxy inlays look really nice and professional after they have been sanded.

1 Like

I’ve always found that a coat or two of something shiny makes the epoxy inlays pop a bit more.

You are correct. I did not finish this Inlay because it was a demonstration of the technique that I use to get excellent results. If this was an actual project I would have sealed it with clear laquer or a clear poly. I have several examples in the paw paw project thread. Thanks for the feedback. I hope that you liked the video and will come back to see more.

1 Like

I enjoyed the videos. I’ve done similar mostly with Poly resin instead of epoxy. My frustration with poly resin’s is the curing time. Sometimes it cures overnight, other times it cures in 2-3 weeks (same mix ratio’s).

The 5 minute epoxy is just the opposite. It sets very quickly, however, I wait about six hours before I sand. I have found that it is still a little soft if I don’t wait and will not sand properly. I glad you enjoyed my videos. Hopefully, you have subscribed to the channel. I working on several projects now and have many planned.

Excellent video @PhillipLunsford - thank you for sharing!

I wanted to share my recent two projects I have done combining Easel Pro and V-carve epoxy inlay + sharing my thoughts on how to minimise bubbles.

I use aircraft grade, slow cure (24h) epoxy with just a shot or two with spray can paint to add tint.
The slow cure epoxy is thinner and flow more easily into the pockets. Because it is thinner and cure over a much longer period of time the trapped air is more likely to escape/rise to the top. Also since it flows better there is less air trapped during mixing. I also used a lighter to “flame” the bubbles that did form on top. I mix my epoxy in a paper cup and simply pour is over the carved areas slowly.
The excess epoxy is wet sanded off after 24-48hrs to ensure it is fully cured.

My two samples are not without air bubbles but they are really really few and almost not detectable by the eye.

4 Likes

…indeed… :star_struck:

1 Like

You are 100% correct. That is why on one of my tests I added just a couple drops of alcohol to thin the epoxy. It helps a lot.

Your would looks fantastic!

Hopefully you subscribed to my channel. In the near future I am going to be doing some inlays and casting with alumilite to both carve on the CNC and turn on the lathe. I’m also going to be using a pressure pot.

Is that a spitfire?