[NOW LIVE] [new feature] G-code sending through easel

@psharley do you know how long the carving took? What did you make?

I rn a quick test using gcode generated from Vcarve Desktop (with the Easel PP) and it worked perfectly.

Next I will try a much larger gcode file.

@AllenMassey cool…try a REALLY big one. We’re trying to see if there is a limit to what it can handle. I believe UGS has a limit. I’ve never hit it myself but I’ve heard others have reached the limit.

Took about 10 min or so. Cut the background out to form a Christmas tree. Cut it out of last years Christmas tree trunk.

That’s such a cool idea. I love projects that use materials from past projects that are related in some way.

I would also like to try this out!

@MichaelScott1 winner winner g-code import dinner.

2 Likes

I created a gcode file with 260,213 lines and Easel loaded it fine, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it loaded and previewed (about 3 seconds)

I let it run for about 10 minutes and everything was working perfectly so I stopped it (the full file was going to take 6 hours to complete)

The next test I did was to create a gcode file in Vcarve with the zero point set at the center of the work. Since Easel only allows the zero to be at the lower left I was not sure how it would deal with a center zero.

I opened the file in Easel and the preview showed the work centered at the lower left corner. I set my zeros on the center of the work and started the cut. It worked exactly like I expected.

1 Like

That’s good to hear @AllenMassey. Regarding the zero point on the work we decided it was more important to launch with a minimum viable product and get feedback from the community instead of adding more features that would make it better but would delay launch.

I think setting the zero point is something that @paulkaplan has been thinking about and we would welcome feedback from everyone on if making a change to this is valuable, necessary, or unnecessary since you could do what you did where you put the zero point over the lower left hand corner which is kind of the same thing…but it means 3/4 of your work is off the canvas. Does it make more sense to change the way we show the canvas and leave it alone?

1 Like

The way you show it now is fine with me since I am not editing anything. And it reinforces that the zero should be in the center of the work.

I agree with Allen on this. It makes it clear where the original Zero point was when the file was created.

Just loaded up a roughing pass with 75k lines of g-code and a finishing pas with 750k lines of g-code with no issues in Easel. I’ll try cutting them later today.

1.1mb file and 13.8mb file.

Chilipeppr will not load the finishing pass, Universal Gcode Sender nightly build will.

Wow 750k lines is a lot of gcode!

I overheard that UGS starts having trouble at about 1 million lines of code. I haven’t experienced it myself. I believe the file was using advanced strategies like graduated plunging and trochoidal toolpaths generated from Fusion 360.

Anyone want to live dangerously and try something like that?

I would love to try out this feature!
Will photo v carve work with it too?

Sign me up for this!

We got your back @Ebr and @HenryHaslam. We haven’t explicitly tested it with photo carve but my understanding is it will work with any Vectric product. Do you own a copy to test it out?

I intend to test this with Fusion 360.

Awesome. I can’t wait to hear your feedback.

I would like to test with Fusion 360. Thanks!

hi Zach I’ve just tried it photo vcarve and it doesn’t unfortunately I tried moving the easel pp and I didn’t work. any ideas how I can get round this. cheers martin.