(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

Roughly $350-$400 plus shipping.
Still waiting to get best price from supplier.

1 Like

the $350 mark is getting much closer to what I could warrant…

I would like to be added to the purchase list please
Thank you

Cant wait!

I assume this will also mean less time re squaring the machine correct?

For the most part Yes. But it all depends on your initial setup and maintenance.

2 Likes

Add me in for a 1000mm x y upgrade.

So I’m approaching finalizing the list. If you are still interested (@$350-$450+shipping) Please confirm with PM even if you are on the list. Thanks. :heart_eyes:
Deadline is on or around Tuesday.

2 Likes

Trying to find the BOM in the thread, can you itemize the parts again, and is there a different kit if the Y height is not stock? Can’t remember if your end plates for the X were full height…

All the plates are replaced. And the x is lifted 2” by popular demand.
The BOM is way too long. But basically everything needed to do the upgrade. If anyone who purchased it in the past can comment about the completion of the kit? I’m pretty sure I was extremely careful to track everything needed.

Update: Sooooooooooo… I have been receiving a bit more orders and Pms than i expected, so im gonna need a few days to go through all the messages and lists and confirmations.

Here is what you need to do. If you already confirmed no need to reconfirm. If not im gonna push the deadline back a a few days for the last few people im squeezing in.

What i need is a confirmation to order (with sizes if custom and machine size, Default lift request is 2" so im making that default and anything else is custom) on the original PM requesting to be on the list before Saturday.
Thanks. :grin:

1 Like

So I have been reading through this thread for quite awhile now and I have a few questions I am not here to start a fight I am curious thats all

1. What ever happened to the IP and Opensource debate at the beginning of this thread? are you going to publish plans and BOM to conform with the Opensource license of the X-carve?

2. Could some please explain the benefit when using this setup over the stock set-up? I read somewhere that this system is only capable of 157ipm which is not very fast. I agree a ballscrew machine is better than a belt machine but this set-up is not using precision linear components and your still limited by the steppers when this set-up might work better with something like clearpath servos

Like I said I am not hear to start a fight I am just curious

to me and this might sound harsh but it seems like you are taking the not very good stock z-axis and expanding it to all the other axis especially using the open builds delrin anti-lash nuts I am just not understanding the benefits here could someone please explain thanks for your time

Like I said I am not hear to start a fight lol

That being said I do know the difference between an industrial machine and the x-carve you forget I have a x-carve and I used the crap out of it the bigger one I have is not an industrial machine actually far from it

but anyone looking to do this upgrade is not going to use the default settings in easel because they are more than likely going to be an advanced user looking for items that will provide improvements such as productivity, longer maintenance intervals, accuracy, edge finishes, rigidity, etc

seems like installing a complicated lead screw setup would be pointless when you could upgrade your steppers to clearpath servos which would do all the additional torque your talking about along with added speed and maybe upgrade to some cheap linear rails or linear ball rails then ditch the maintenance heavy v-wheels

seems to me and I could be wrong but provide you with all the benefits of this lead screw system with far less failure prone parts

I also look at everything from a business stand point when I am posting things and more expensive machines are more expensive for a reason and by the time you put a bunch of money in upgrading the x-carve with all the various mods that you can do and then something breaks along with the now 400 companies you have to go to for support your job deadline has passed because your machine is down. when if you want to make money at your business you should of bought a machine that has top notch factory components through and through and support is 1 call and 1 overnight package away from being up and running for that important job your on

I am all for tinkering I love it in fact but when it comes time to run a profitable business you just simply do not have the time to tinker with a machine that puts food on the table for your family

furthermore if the original designer and op of this thread is reading my messages I commend you on all the time and thought that went into your system who knows if this is what you enjoy doing we could be seeing the birth of a new machine manufacture here please keep up the good work and keep improving items progress is always a good thing

I just love to see the benefits of a new system compared to a old system and the data to back it up

So you should direct the question of complexity to my customers, and its mostly an upgrade for two things, Lift and Belts. No more belt fiddling and pulley slip/adjustments. And The lift will give close to 3.5 or more clearance under the carriage.
Now it inherently does help with rigidity accuracy and repeatability , but thats all down to the care of the installer.
as for torque. If you allow the motors they will try and pretzel the aluminum machine. Its an upgrade kit not a Haas VMC! :grin:

@AngusMcleod

Yeah they are a little pricey but worth every penny I am looking at upgrading my bigger machine for about 450.00 each

off topic :wink:

1 Like

I’m highly interested in this upgrade, I own a small business and need more consistency, less fish scale, ruler, or guitar tune belt estimating nonsense!!

How much currently joining in the batch? When and where can I pay? Please send me the info, I’ve got to get in on the next batch before the snow falls!!!

@Phantomm Is a great guy! I purchased the kit a few months ago, and it has probably been the best decision i’ve ever made lol. I can easily set my machine to cut and don’t have to worry about anything messing up. Its very accurate, fast, and extremely sturdy. I used to change bits for 2 stage carving and there was always the chance of shifting the z, with this there is no way you are going to move the gantry, its rock solid! I would recommend the linear Z if you do this upgrade though, it is well worth it, and they work very well together.

Installation took a few hours (maybe 4-5?) They hardest part is making sure the machine is square for precision (i.e. x,y,z to the wasteboard etc.)

I would recommend this kit 1000x over. JUST DO IT ALREADY!

(NOT A PAID PROMOTION) LOL

3 Likes

I hate the shifting when changing bits. Looking forward to getting this!

3 Likes