(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

Just as a FYI, those with Xcontrollers, the auto torque reduction is the main source of machine movement during bit changes. You can disable it by turning off DIP switch #4 on each axis driver. It may even be worth doing with a screw drive as well.

Auto torque is a great feature to control temps of steppers and the Xcontroller but can cause step issues as well, even potentially during carves.

3 Likes

Just FYI they come that way be default. Almost nobody should need to touch it

1 Like

The torque reduction? Mine was enabled when I received it and the Inventables instructions say to enable it.

@PhilJohnson what do you think about the auto torque in relation to the screwdrive?

I didnā€™t claim that screws slip. Still doesnā€™t change the fact that having 30% of torque available is not necessarily a good thing, independent of belts or screws.

The reason for my comment was due to what was previously discussed by both Casey and Rob was that switching to screws fixed or will fix their axis slipping during bit changes with belts. Thatā€™s fixable with an adjustment to the machine controller. Thatā€™s like buying a new car instead of just replacing the battery when it dies.

Just trying to be helpful.

1 Like

@JustinBusby

I am with you man I am not sure how they where making the machine loose steps when doing a bit change?

I am thinking that there belts might have been loose
not enough current going to the motors

or they are over tightening there tools it does not take much to lock a tool down tight

No. The Xcontroller has an auto torque reduction feature that, when an axis is idle, it reduces the reference voltage to 30% of ā€œnominalā€, this has a direct effect on holding torque since the current is reduced as well (V=I*R) so the carriage can move.

That feature is enabled by default (or at least on my Xcontroller and others that have posted pics of DIP switches) and also is shown as the desired setup in the instructions.

For the record, Iā€™m not saying anything negative about @Phantommā€™s system. I think itā€™s a great idea as it reduces a lot of possibility for user tolerance and has numerous other benefits discussed earlier. Iā€™m also not saying anybody only bought the upgrade only to stop the carriage moving, just an added bonus that comes with the upgrade.

2 Likes

I have a Z-axis with ACME direct drive and Delrin block.
With stepper idle=10 the weight of my router would make the carriage drop under its own weight, the friction was almost zero.
This was with undersized motors btw and stepper idle = 10.

My point is, a smooth screw drive should have very little friction indeed and not inherently ā€œbetterā€ against position shift due to excessive man-handling :wink:

I use 50% current reduction on my drivers now (and bigger motors) and they have been behaving perfect :slight_smile:

Interesting. Without the motor attached my vfd spindle would also fall but once I attach the motor without power it takes a finger to push it down. But with power nothing moves without rotating the couplers.

Consider this. Z slipping during bit change is not a concern for most since it will require rezeroing after the bit change. The biggest concern was xy slippage during bit changes. I have experienced that a few times with belts but Charlie kinda saved my work more than once. Iā€™m not sure what allows it to slip but I do remember back then being able to move the carriage during bit changes but not as much during operation. What setting/dipswitches should I check?
And what do the settings do? (In laymenā€™s terms)
And define undersize vs underpowered.

2 Likes

On the list and canā€™t wait!!!

2 Likes

Update. So I am almost done negotiating prices with my supplier. Iā€™ll be emailing everyone with due dates prices and payment methods for the batch.
For anyone who has not sent me their email yet please do.

1 Like

I am just looking at cnc machines at the moment. This looks upgrade looks like it makes a huge difference to the machine. I like it. I am looking to use a cnc to inlay designs on cutting boards. The designs can be quite complex. I worried about repeatablilty and cutting a mirrored design to fit into the original and not have gaps. I will keep an eye on this thread. thanks

3 Likes

Can I still get on the list?

I donā€™t believe this is accurate. If you modify designs that were licensed by Inventables, you create adapted material. If you sell that material, it must include a derived license.

So for example, heā€™s welcome to sell these modifications, but must publish the plans with them ā€” at least for his customers. Otherwise itā€™s a violation of the license from Inventables that you accept by using their CADā€™s.

Didnā€™t use their cads. :grin:
But Iā€™m still gonna avoid the issue.

1 Like

I understand thatā€™s one interpretation but having reviewed the license, I donā€™t believe itā€™s correct. While Iā€™m not a lawyer, I work a lot with open source licenses in my job, and am familiar with the CC license that Inventables is using.

Itā€™s pretty clear that derived works have to be distributed with a Creative Commons license. Thatā€™s explicitly called out in the ā€œShareAlikeā€ clause.

I donā€™t really have a horse in this race since I neither have this product, nor am I part of Inventables. That said, if @Phantomm didnā€™t even use the source CAD files from Inventables, this is all a moot point since his work is not adapted material :smiley:

Really? Iā€™m not sure why you would resort to a personal attack like that?

I donā€™t want the screw drive and I donā€™t want the plans for the screw drive. I even explicitly said that if Inventableā€™s CAD files werenā€™t used, this license doesnā€™t apply.

This is the way open source licenses work though ā€” if you use and adapt open source material like Inventableā€™s CAD files, then it must be distributed with a compatible license. You can read more about this at copyleft.org.

Either way, both @JustinBusby and I pointed out that weā€™re not lawyers. If I were to build a business on possibly licensed work, I would definitely consult with one to make sure everything is in the clear.

Iā€™m pretty confused about the way this thread is going.

It appears that everybody (for the most part) agrees and are discussing the same side of the issue.

Yes, there is a license.

Doesnā€™t seem to be any infringement.

The discussion continues.

What am I missing?

2 Likes

Not sure. I was originally under the impression that open source CADā€™s were used, but @Phantomm cleared that up.

Project looks great! One thing Iā€™m curious aboutā€” with the screw drive, would it be feasible to upgrade to a beefier (and heavier) spindle? Iā€™d love to start being able to use 1/2" shank toolsā€¦