Open desk layout table build (small scale)

Hi all, I thought I would share a little project I’ve been working on.

I would eventually like to make flat-pack style furniture on my X-Carve 1000mm (well, the Australian version of it) and before even getting the machine I started playing with Fusion 360 and the design files for this layout table:

When I got the machine I started cutting little bits of the table in 7mm plywood and today I finished assembling the first complete version of the table at roughly 1/3 scale.

Thought you may get a kick of seeing what a layout table for a small dog or cat would look like!

Imgur

5 Likes

I LOVE flat pack furniture! I’m currently making a picnic table from a single 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood. We go to the park at Greenlake every weekend and the permanent picnic tables are always taken, so this way I don’t have to worry. Gonna seal with epoxy to make the plywood waterproof.

1 Like

You must live in Australia too!

Seriously though, I can get ‘furniture grade’ plywood here for AUD$140 (18mm) and plywood with a laminate coating on it’s surface for around $100. It’s not super cheap but if I can make models first and avoid mistakes on the full size items it could work out ok.

Marine grade plywood is super expensive here too.

That’s why I’m “marinizing” my $40/sheet plywood.

I’m not worried about a $40 sheet with a couple of hours of work into it. Now if I was using cabinet grade or marine grade for something fancier, I’d care. I’m also planning on using penetrating epoxy for the at least the feet and the top. Actually, now that I think about it, the price of the penetrating epoxy jacks the price up quite a bit…

I used Russian/Baltic birch when I was a steel rule die maker, it is excellent. We used 2x for dies. The difference is instead of 13 ply for 5/8 it was 26. I miss those days we used to throw out off cuts by the truckload.

And then invite us over for a BBQ. BTW, this is what I’m going for and why I’d love to have a 4’ x 8’ cutting area:

All from a single sheet…

1 Like

And to think I threw a fit when i had to pay $70 for a sheet. When I went to Brisbane to visit a friend and to see Riverfire I had one cigarette the whole time i was there Almost $25 a pack if i remember correctly.

Are you saying there should be a “sin tax” on plywood? :wink:

Just priced some marine ply at $A130 for 2400mm x 1200mm sheet. Easy to find where I am as there are a lot of boat builders.
Birch plywood on the other hand is not available locally at all, closest I can get here is hoop pine (BB) at around $A180 a sheet.
Cheapest general purpose ply (CD) is $A60+
This is for an 18mm thick sheet.

That’s a pity Geoff, Tasmania isn’t too far away, I’m in Melbourne. Maybe next time a mate takes the ferry over?

The cheap, general purpose ply is more than good enough to suit my woodworking skills :slight_smile:
I have some offcuts of huon and king billy pine that I’m trying to work up the courage to use.

I absolutely love this table!

SVG file
desk.pdf (270.9 KB)

2 Likes

detail of the tray