A while ago I posted about a table I wanted to build using my x-carve. At the time I had produced a model to make sure I had my Fusion 360 project set up properly. That original thread is here.
Since then I’ve gone and cut out the full-size table. It went well, there were no big issues.
The only places where it could have gone wrong were in moving the work from the first position to the second position when cutting pieces that were larger than what the x-carve could fit. Those were the table top and the long frame sides.
The way I handled this was to get the machine to drill some tool-sized holes at the far end of the work piece. Then use those holes as reference when re-positioning the material. There were two holes, one at the back-left and one at the back-right.
When the machine finished cutting the first operation, I moved the work piece so that the two holes were at the front. I used moved the tool just above the left hole then moved the tool across the the right side and moved the work so that the second hole was under the tool. This way the work piece was parallel to the x-axis.
Then I moved the tool back to the first hole and homed the machine there.
In Fusion 360 I set the first hole as the origin for the second cut.
I took photos throughout and thought you may enjoy seeing them.