Phil's 2.8w Jtech Laser Journey

And different pieces of the same wood type can sometimes burn much differently.

1 Like

Make a file with different power settings squares and lettering all cut out on one piece and save that as a visual reference.

1 Like

I can send you one later this week.

1 Like

Hey Larry don’t have a 3d printer , what would you charge me for one of those mounts printed up ? I’d rather ask someone who knows what it’s supposed to be when it’s done rather than a 3d printing service

1 Like

Another options:

That is the kind of thing I’m talking about. I made a similar one for carving on the xcarve. It helps to have something real to look at.

Try a few higher feed rates.

2 Likes

Dangit Phil! Now I have to get a stinking laser. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If anyone is interested, I have a Jtech 3.8w laser and their highest current power supply that I am looking to part with. I just got a Glowforge and really don’t have a use for this anymore. I can transfer my software licenses if applicable as well. I created a custom mount for the laser to easily attach/detach from the X-Carve. I have $850 invested in it, with software included. Anyone interested, make a reasonable offer. Thanks!

1 Like

But @PhilJohnson has already sold like 2 of them for jtech from what im reading here lol he is offering the product to Phils captive audience :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He did say make an offer… that was his investment. Besides he has a $3,000 glowforge to pay off. I guess they finally started shipping 2 years late.

1 Like

… And so it begins.

ha ha ha ha good times

2 Likes

Yes. Not a problem.

1 Like

Oh no, I would never part with my X-carve. I have a 1000MM X 1000MM and I use it every other day. Different tools for different needs, you know? The Glowforge is great, but not nearly as versatile as my X-Carve. I just have no more use for the smaller laser for my needs.

I was actually lucky enough to buy the Glowforge off of Craigslist from someone who waited those 2 years. I got it for 1/3 of the cost with some choice trade items. I’ll post the laser for sale in the for sale section, didn’t mean to hijack your thread guys, just doing some fall cleaning. :wink:

3 Likes

How is your smoke venting going with the new setup?

No, I was asking you (since it’s your thread). When I got my K40 laser I was pretty shocked by how much smoke it produced even for small test runs. I still don’t have a great venting solution and it’s not even an open frame machine like the X-Carve.

Not sure running the smoke through the dust collector is the way to go in case you actually get a glowing ember sucked into your dust collector - might go BOOM!

2 Likes

Yes, laser cutters and K40’s in particular have been known to run “hot” every once in a while:

The moral of the story is that unlike carving with the CNC, when the laser is running you should never let the machine out of your sight even for a couple of minutes. Keep a bathroom coffee can in the workshop…

3 Likes

Haha thats my banana video. Btw np problems using the box shield around the laser. I rarely wear my glasses

1 Like

Its funny, I burn my dust in my fire pit. It takes all day for it to burn because it just won’t really burn… until you throw some up in the air above the logs.

And powdered sugar on a birthday cake isn’t normally considered explosive either, but…
here ya go. Now I just know you watched that video and got tempted to try it…

It appears that there are some config settings that affect this.

I did a quick look and it seems that the build I have is set up to turn the spindle/laser off during a feed hold period.

I would do a test at a very low power to see if this is true.