Phil's help documents and Tutorials

I think most of us are 4 year olds on this forum :stuck_out_tongue: Especially me, I am 23 with no experience with any woodworking or machinery at all, I kind of just dove right in and hoped for the best. Trying to soak in as much information as possible as I go around, I probably ask some dumb questions. I always try to use the search tool as often as possible, as I know it can be frustrating for the big rigs on this forum to have to repeat themselves over and over!

Iā€™ve been using the settings you provided in one of your threads. Only cutting 0.01" deep. Iā€™ve boiled it down to 3 things. I am using extruded acrylic (solved this issue yesturday when I was finally able to source some cast acrylic for half the price out of town in a big city and had 50 pieces shipped to me) Next is the bit, this is the bit I am using (30 degree bits for fine scoring or engraving, sharp point, narrow tip Kyocera | eBay) I also fixed this issue by buying the pack of bits that you recommended. Hoping they show up soon also. Last issue is the collet adapter, I feel like the 90ipm is just to much for this adapter. (Just bought the elaire collet you just linked)

Feed Rate: 90ipm
Plunge Rate: 9IPM
Depth per pass: 0.01

1 Like

So what kind of Loctite do I need?

2 Likes

Damn! I like Blue Loctite! Not a fan of Green!

Iā€™m singing: They asked me how I new, all Loctite was Blue!!! OOoh. I of course replied, something loose inside, cannot be denied!

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep that in mind when I get the chance to buy vcarve

Hereā€™s a pic of the jagged edges.

Hmm it would still be rasterized even if it was sent through inventables image trace?

No Blue for you!! (Seinfeld reference)

1 Like

Hey Phil,

I was wondering if you have seen this for f-engrave before. I am trying to do a 3.5x2 image of my logo (just testing f engrave to see what I can do with it). I started with a vector and changed it to a dxf and bmp. I couldnt get the dxf to load into f-engrave but I got the BMP to upload, however, the quality is absolutely horrible!

The accuracy seems way off and it appears to be missing a lot of the smaller details. Is there a setting I am missing in the software or should I doing something else? Thanks in advance!

@PhilJohnson I may have answered my own question. I changed the vector do about 40in from 3.5in and it cleared up quite a bit. I am assuming it was due to such a low quality BMP.

Illustrator. Will f-engrave actually import a png file?

Wow. Never noticed the pinā€¦ :slight_smile:

Great pic btw! Thanks!

1 Like

I think it is a Disqus ā€œfeatureā€. Each user can unpin it for themselves and it does it automatically by default. Thereā€™s a setting for this behavior in ā€œsettingsā€:

So what you might be seeing is that you have that checkbox on and it unpins it in your view when you reach the bottom. But itā€™s still pinned for everybody else (until they reach the bottom).

Is @Rusty no longer active?

1 Like

Iā€™m still here! Iā€™ll look at this in the morning!

1 Like

So it looks like this is due to the ā€œfeature/optionā€ that @MarkWalker mentioned. Looks to be defaulted on for users.

You can also see that when you hover over the pin icon it will say something like, ā€œunpinned for youā€. Which means it should still show up for users who havenā€™t discovered it yet.

I would suggest for anyone how finds this post helpful and you would like to have a quick reference/access to ā€œbookmarkā€ the post.

Iā€™ve marked this post as a wiki now as well, not really sure what that does, but maybe it will help with itā€™s visibility.

Good work on the post @PhilJohnson, there is some great info here.

1 Like

Of course finding your bookmarks without using the keyboard shortcut (g,b) is a pain.

1 Like

I donā€™t find it too bad.

1 Like

I pinned it then it unpinned it again.
did it 2 times
Why did it unpin it after I selected Pinned?

for it to stay you have to default check in prefs as suggested above.