Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

Thanks Phil!

1 Like

I got to thank you guys for pointing me to the bigger unit I got it installed and almost ready to rock.
Two thing that pleasantly surprised me about it that make all difference I think comparing to less expensive unit.
Rods that bearings ride on are parallel supported with T shape of aluminum extrusion, no bendings, bowing possible I think.
Bearings out of necessity I guess are not full wrap of the linear rod but that allows for set screws on side of each to compress them slightly this might come handy if this will develop some play with time.

That said Iā€™m not convinced x-carve stock and even the upgraded extrusion can sustain this weight and its a lot of weight to ride on stock belts :frowning:

1 Like

Yes!!! I like it!! Where did you put the mounting holes to connect the Z-axis to the X-carriage?

My X carriage can be dismounted to be flat plate so I dissembled Z axis to just back long plate (very easy) and clamped them both together. I had some existing holes in steel plate so I just drilled trough with 4.2mm bit in aluminum. Then I tapped them to m5, I believe 8 screws total.

1 Like

Thanks. I have the same new Z for my new machine and will do the same thing, disassemble and drill/tap.

Thanks

So as far as linear Z axis upgrades go what is the current consensus? I was about to pull the trigger on the microcarve one but if there is a better option out there for a stock machine with the new x rail I am all ears. Is it worth getting? Should I just keep the stock Z axis? I was looking at the 6 pound one but my G Shield tends to overheat on longer runs anyway and Iā€™m not sure it will like the extra strain. Gonna build Philā€™s controller at some point when I have a life again but until then trying to weigh my options on the Z axis.

1 Like

It seems ebay is flooded with these things now. Hard to tell quality from junk. Looks like most are running in the $180 range with the exception of some really nice looking ones at about 4 bills which is a little salty for me. :confounded:

Think I might give this one a shot. Uses a double stainless bearing. I asked if its replaceable to which they said yes. Also fairly light at 4.4 pounds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-SLIDE-5-6-TRAVEL-FOR-CNC-ROUTER-3D-PRINTER-PLASMA/272413339739?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41395%26meid%3Ddffca086a8454a1fb0f7b82a5ee546b7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D272419744906

1 Like

Well something is off then. The description says NEMA 23.

Just for anyone else who might be interested the seller confirms NEMA 23 with 1/4 shaft. They also have 8mm and 3/8 couplings that can be swapped for no extra charge.

1 Like

ā€œDOUBLE STAINLESS BEARING ON ONE ENDā€ ???

This wording sounds curious to me.

It does to me as well but I cant see anything strange from the images and they have a return policy and its free shipping so at most I would be out return shipping if its some weird design that I cant use.

1 Like

I own this model as well as their belt driven offset unit. Nema 23 motors bolt right up. The drive screw is 3/8" x 16, which at first caused me pause but I went for it anyway. They will also drill out your router mounting plate to suit your holder. It is a well made unit and thus far I havenā€™t had any problems with it. I paid $127 for mine and for the belt driven model I paid $157.

Philā€™s linear rail Z axis upgrade,
Can anyone tel me the total height of this actuator with the motor on top, as I intend to get the same one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-Axis-5-75-Fast-Travel-ANTI-BACKLASH-Linear-Slide-CNC-Router-Actuator-/162308315621?nav=SEARCH the problem I have is my table folds up against a wall when not in use, because of a lack of space in my workshop, and as it is at the moment the top of the Dewalt is pretty close to the wall when the table is up, so I will need to move the whole lot away from the wall , but by how much

So I think I see the difference. The microcarve unit uses a bearing on the bottom and the top where the motor attaches. The motor is raised above the base plate that has a bearing in it with an offset plate that you can see in this image of one that comes without mounting hardware

The one I am looking at has no offset plate and the motor takes the place of the second bearing. Not sure if the design is sound but their customer service seems to be very good.

They both mount on the top (Direct Drive) but it looks like the microcarve has a bearing just below the motor shaft where the cnc4newbie one does not. The first image is a stripped down microcarve unit. No mounting hardware or coupling.

1 Like

I bought one of the Microcarve units, I just got around to installing it tonight and I noticed a decent amount of play in the linear bearings. Its marginally better than the original Z-axis but not nearly as rigid as I expected given the fundamental advantage these linear z-axis kits should give youā€¦

I noticed it while just grabbing the router and torquing. I can see movement between the bearing and the rod very clearly, I havenā€™t started cutting yet to see how the results are.

Iā€™m with you on the beefy one, I only have my X-carve raised an inch so I really only need 4.75" on travel, the 7" one is way overkill for me. How were you planning to add rails? Maybe that is a better route since I already made a bracket and drilled my carriage for this Z.

I donā€™t have mine braced like yours yet. Perhaps back plate flex is exaggerating the bearing slop but I kind of doubt it. When I put a dial indicator on the top of my back plate (ref: the carriage) and torque the router Iā€™m not getting much movement. Iā€™ll make a support bracket soon and see what what changes.

Phil, when you say you will order a stiffer unit next timeā€¦ are you referring to this type? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-7-travel-ANTI-BACKLASH-slider-linear-actuator-CNC-wood-router-plasma-DIY/152468713682?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Df8bba9c59ac348debb95b4376f1463ab%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D162308315621

Thanks Bud!
Alex

Phil:

What do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-SLIDE-6-7-TRAVEL-BELT-COUPLED-CNC-ROUTER-PLASMA-OXY/272248754079?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D7444149465ac4bfd8e47d6a6fee99806%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D122400722964