Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

So you think this one is better, presuming the bearings are replaceable?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-AXIS-SLIDE-6-7-TRAVEL-FOR-CNC-ROUTER-3D-PRINTER-PLASMA-/282226128592

I just got that one in. Haven’t had a chance to install yet but it seems like it is well built. Every component on this unit is user serviceable. I confirmed this with the seller before I ordered it. The seller also stocks replacement parts.

1 Like

Thanks. I will probably go ahead and order it then.

Rick, which one did you end up ordering? I just heard back from the seller on the link I posted and he said that the parts are serviceable as well.

Said:
Yes all the parts are replaceable, the bearing are standard SBR10 blocks and rails. More rigid than plastic sleeves

Curious if that is the I’ve got got? It’s a bit more expense but made in Germany has to be pretty solid and good quality.

I got the one @MarcCohen Posted above from cnc4newbie1. Its made in and ships from Canada. I paid $127 shipped to the US for it.

Don’t forget, they also drill and tap the router mounting plate for free. All you have to do is provide the bolt pattern.

Besides the increased z-axis travel, what is better about going with the slide vs using the existing acme rod setup that comes standard with the xcarve?

THAT’s what I needed, a visual. There have been several links to look at in this post. Is this latest one from CNC4Newbie a good one to get? At $137, seems fairly cheap too, and if they can pre-drill the mounting holes for me, sweet!. Where can we find the mounting hole pattern/dimensions?

1 Like

The plus with this one is that all the parts are user serviceable. Basically if the bearing start going bad you can change them. Units like the microcarve one are built so when the bearings go its time for a new unit. There was some rough machine work on the unit I got but nothing that would affect function. Only cosmetic and mostly in places where it will be hidden anyway. I believe it will be a good unit for the cost. Seems quite stiff and its not super heavy. Hoping to get mine upgraded over the next week of so if time allows.

2 Likes

I imagine you could get bearing blocks to fit the bars, and then make a plate for them. That’s my plan if/when my microcarve z goes wonky.
It’s only been in use for a few weeks so hopefully that won’t be for a while.

1 Like

check out what i got for FREE at an engineering exhibition yesterday

My companies main competitor Igus was given them away as samples. Uses their drylin bearings, seems a good bit of kit and the travel isn’t bad at all! I’m going to see if this could be suitable as my new Z axis.

5 Likes

CNC4Newbie already has the pattern holes for both front and back mounting plates. I just ordered mine.

It looks kinda tall for a z axis, but it would wok nicely for a x axis on a smaller machine.
Nice score!

The one I ordered from cnc4newbie can be configured for 6" or 7" travel.

What’s the travel for the new XCarve with the standard vwheel z-axis setup?

Perhaps, but the further the spindle gets below the gantry, the greater the torsional force applied to the gantry.
If it gets to be to a certain point, a different design of the gantry would be in order to counter the torque. Ie; c-beam, double rail, etc.
Will this occur at 7"? I aint got a clue.

I think the challenge is going to be balancing the newer Z against X and Y axis upgrades (plates)

I just pulled the trigger on the 7", my earlier linear purchase was damaged in a freak “my ceiling storage rack fell and landed on my workbench” incident.

I have the Y and X plates, now I just need to figure out if I should mount the rail backward (spindle on long plate, and small plate attached to X) or forward. I like the idea of backward, but that’s more weight further off the X…

1 Like

I purchased mine because I wanted to make as many improvements during the initial assembly as possible. The only thing I haven’t found a lead for is the Y axis support plates.

Thanks, Phil. I already have Charley’s end plates. I meant the support pieces that prevent Y axis sagging. You’re using L channel. Others use straight pieces.

I was thinking of getting an length of L-channel and mounting it upside down to also create a dust shield for the belts.