Phil's New Waste Board

Yea 180 to 370 from .25 to .5 that is ridiculous I miss my job driving all over the place then I could have just stopped by there

yea, that’s what i was saying, although i typed 4mm instead of 40mm (fixed)

Where do I get the 20x40 extrusions?

Those places are 800 miles away from me

I have a 1000th xcarve and to get those extrusions would be over 400

Nashville it’s to much order extrusions for a 1000th board

I’m looking for aluminous plate that goes all the way across. Doing that with extrusions is over 400 bucks

You’ll be hard pressed to find aluminum extrusion to replace the entire wasteboard for cheap… one company that makes them is Misumi, but you’ll end up paying more, and they come in 250mm x 3000mm packages. you do better by finding a 1000mm X 1000mm solid aluminum plate, and replacing the supports under the wasteboard with 20x40 extruded

I used 3/4 birch plywood and since I’m in a humid climate it started warping so not a great idea for me

If you upgrade your supports that sit under the wasteboard to 20mmx40mm extrusions, you should be able to switch to 1/2" (13mm) or even 1/4"(6.5mm) aluminum plate… Since it’s metal, you can also get it in smaller widths, and piece them together, using the under supports as anchor points.

i.e. instead of buying one large 1000mm x 1000mm slab of aluminum, you could buy 4 250mm x 1000mm lenghts, and using screws, and t-nuts, attach these to your 20mmx40mm extrusions. Should make for a pretty sturdy platform.

Right I can understand that where am I going to find 250mm x1000mm

See if you can locate a local metal / welding supply. The one by me has aluminum in 12ft x 8ft sheets which they can cut down. (all different grades and sizes)

I’m looking around and I found one that has aluminum on the outs side and some kind of plastic in between

So get this I walk into my local scrap yard where they sell new and scrap junk for dirt cheap and I picked up a 5ft by 6ft long .25 thick piece of aluminum now I just have to cut it

2 Likes

Not strong enough for a machine base but it’s great for making signs.

1 Like

Yea I was going to buy some of that for this and figured it just wouldn’t be the same

1 Like

Where did you get the aluminum brackets on the sides

Well then I guess that makes sense lol

1 Like