Phil's New Waste Board

Phi,
I am getting ready to purchase the 1000x1000 but, because I live in Thailand, am not going to include the waste board. I don’t think it will go through the APO (Armed Forces Pacific) system. I like your design and intend to do the same/similar. I’m new to the forum so this may be a stupid question. Here goes anyway. Is there a link I can go to that shows the entire build/dimensions/hole locations? Especially the mounting holes on the perimeter. I know the majority are in this thread but, like any good idea, there are a lot of comments that make for a whole bunch of reading.
Is there anything you would do different if you did it again?

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks Phil. I just ordered the aluminum angle. Next comes the extrusion for the frame. Did you get yours from Inventables? Living in remote Thailand makes it impossible to run to my local hardware. Even if we had one, they would probably give me the “deer in the headlight” look when I told them what I’m trying to do. I think Amazon is going to love me.

1 Like

Phil,

This is kind of a big deal. Could we possibly look forward to a complete how-to and part list? I would love to do this. And instructions like the ones for the X-Carve would be awesome! (Videos?)

Regardless, Thank you for sharing this. Bravo!

1 Like

Now it’s time to change this post’s name to Phil’s Great BASE BOARD. It’s way too expensive to call it Waste Board. :blush:

2 Likes

When I’m saying expensive didn’t mean it money wise. You spend good amount of time and power to do it.
That’s priceless. All good things happening in your shop, enjoying following them.

1 Like

I guess last night I was getting a little enthusiastic about your project but was concerned about getting your plan mixed up in all the alternative suggestions. But by the light of day, I see that it was inappropriate to ask; I apologize. I already had the pdf and will happily do as you suggest.

And to be fair, those alternative suggestions should be considered as well. I’m one of the people who decided not to pay the shipping on the waste board. And being new to machining, I was hoping at some point I would be able to see which plan would work best for me. But in the spirit of your suggestion, I understand now that I need to figure that out myself as the answer might be different for each individual…

So I am starting the new waste board Phil here has designed now it may not be as pretty and shiny however it’s 1/4 thick and I had to cut it myself. As I was looking somewhere between 2 and 500 bucks for what he has in my area. Here’s the first picture and will update as I go along

1 Like

Phil where did you get the angle aluminum

how long are your extrusions in the middle the small ones that are cut up

You’re inspiring people Phil, I just finished my new base based off of seeing what you did.

1 Like

I purchased more 20 x 20 extrusion and made the same grid under the aluminum base. 4’ x 4’ sheet of 1/4" aluminum sheet that I cut down to size. I drilled and tapped all of the holes into the base sheet to hold everything down, 1/4 / 20 for the mdf & 6/32 for the t-tracks. After everything was bolted down and I got the z axis running right I flattened the top with a 1" flat bottom router bit. At some point soon I’m going to figure out a way to connect a pen to the z axis so I have have more reference marks than the bottom edge.

2 Likes

I found out about this the hard way when I dropped a piece of MakerSlide when I had a tap partially screwed in - google Walton Tap Extractor - you’ve got to buy the one which fits the diameter and number of flutes of the tap you broke. Amazon has them and I think so does MCMaster Carr. I had the broken tap out with no damage to the Makerslide about 5 minutes after it was delivered.

Here’s their product page

1 Like

Yep, no doubt Phil is a great inspiration. I’m in the process of designing this waste board out of ForesCOLOR soon. Thanks for the link for the Walton tap extractor. I’ll be ordering one soon. You can never have too many toys… …uhh I mean tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually it’s right along the edge and my clamps are long enough to reach over the bump stop. I do like all of the changes I have made so far, I have been able to see an incremental increase in acuracy with each change. I think I’m almost done fiddling. If I do anything else it would be to change to Mach4, but since that would take another $600+ and I would have to learn more code (no more GRBL, which I’m just getting the hang of) I’m thinking I’m going to wait a while. I have V Carve Pro and if I could machine v inlays reliably I would be perfect.

1 Like

I’m getting there money is tight and I need 24 in of more 20x20 then its the t slot rails and I should be good to go.

1 Like

Phil two questions. What are the other two dimensions of your 5 pieces of MDF? 3/4 x ? x ?.

Second, does your wasteboard sit on top of a torsion box?

Thank you Phil. Appreciate the help. Your drawings are simply incredible and very inspirational.

1 Like

what do yo u think phil

1 Like