Phil's New Waste Board

Did you use any special machinist square or anything to mark a straight line across the aluminum?

That’s fair, and I appreciate it.

I’m going to look up “Base Origin” right now as study material, as I sit in the “LIbrary”. LMAO

1 Like

Phil,
For the through holes around the perimeter, to attach to the Xcarve frame extrusions, did you have speedy metals drill them out, or did you do that yourself.

I’m pretty sure that Phil did them himself. I know I did when I copied the design.

Thanks. I’m trying to decide, with my limited budget, how best to do the wasteboard.

This - When I get to the wasteboard on my new CNC, I won’t be using a full plate of aluminum due to cost, but I’ll still use the T-Track just add more of them, sometimes the space between is just a bit too much.

jer

Well yeah - I will put a 3/4 piece of MDF or like material down first, then the t-track and the planks. The sheel of aluminum for the bed would be about $250 locally, that’s a bit much. I did see Home depot sells a sheet of 1/2" plastic - i think it’s like the plastic decking material but its 4’x8’x1/2" thick. I might do two layers of that before the t-track and planks to try and cut down on the amount of moisture the bed takes in.

jer

1 Like

I just ordered the T-Track from Orange Aluminum and the .25 inch Aluminum plate from Speedy Metals. Both places charged shipping costs that were about half of what the material cost was. I really have to find a local source for this stuff.

Delaware.

None of them were as inexpensive as Speedy Metals.

1 Like

And I paid $17.00 a piece the last time I bought T Track.

1 Like

I used the $8 shipped shopfox t-track off amazon. You have to drill the rail, but I use epoxy it in there.

I’m looking for a metal shop which sells plate aluminum locally… What type of aluminum is that 1/4" plate?

Thanks, Phil!

BTW… if you ever run for President, then you’ll have my vote!!!

1 Like

This place is asking for a “suffix” on the numbering (6061-…). May I ask what they are asking for?

http://www.yarde.com/products/drop2/

1 Like

ok, so Speedy Metals 1/4" 6061 Aluminum Plate shows dimensions of available plate, which are smaller than the machine.

How did you get a larger plate?

ahhh, ok, Thank You!. :smiley:

1 Like

oh yeah, one last question. Is plating perfectly flat? I mean, you used it for your wasteboard, so I’m assuming that if I use it, then I will not need to concern myself with attemping to surface it due to slop or anything, or worry about bending during transportation…

...Would that be accurate?  

(thanks again for your seemingly endless supply of patience.)

so, if you skim the MDF to make it flat, may I ask how the pieces clamped into the “T-Track” are made to be flat?

… again, not trying to “Sharpshoot” or anything… Just a Padawan asking Padawan level questions to a Jedi Master. LOL

1 Like

My apologies. I will attempt to clarify my question.

My logic being that skimming the mdf makes for a true flat surface… If materials are also clamped to the rails, then are they needed to be also skimmed?

My understanding is that the rails are for devices such as CNC work holding clamps. However, I am likely misunderstanding. Are the rails are solely for the use of clamps to hold material to the waste board?