Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Is it Christmas already?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

You must be preparing for another busy winter!

1 Like

Oh right on! Great idea! Looks like you could turn a whole lot of scrap wood into some nice looking ornaments!

1 Like
4 Likes

They have a Dumbledore one as well…

1 Like

@PhilJohnson are the base ornament models from the design and make files or are they something you’ve created?

1 Like

I’m not a big H.P. fan but these are very nicely done! What is the diameter of the rim?

I love the Dumbledore one

1 Like

I think you need to make a video of your technique.

Very cool! Do you provide a bolt pattern template for the key holes? :grimacing:

Hey, Phil is back to 2D world.
That is super clean result Phil.

1 Like

Don’t forget to make template for those holes, 5 of them kind’a difficult to make proper holes on the wall. (It’s time to use your pen holder) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:flushed:

1 Like

I wish you success on your new bosses. I use to work for Eastman Kodak Company. I was District Technical Supervisor for Georgia-Alabama-South and North Carolina. Company filed Bankruptcy, another Company took over and cost thousands of jobs. We downsized like a hell. Finally they offer me to leave before “majority decision” with 6 months continuous pay. I had to take it with no chance. And this happened on age 59, three years to earliest retirement. You do the math. Ended up moving more affordable Country and found myself in full time CNC business.

4 Likes

Experiment with the minwax polyshades (non-gel) finishes for glazes. Seal, sand, apply polyshades and you’re done.

I also use trans-tint with 50/50 denatured alcohol/lacquer thinner for a fast evaporating, non-grain-popping finish, then use any clear coat I have on hand over the top.

1 Like

Komatsu bought JOY which was our competitor. I wish you luck in the merger, Phil. The corporate world is a B.

1 Like

Those are amazing Phil! And congrats with the buy out. I’ve been through a few and it sounds like yours will be way better. The gifts are a terrific idea as it puts a face to a name which can come in handy later. And every day they will be reminded they have some kick ■■■ engineers who care.

1 Like

Looks great Phil, although I think the banner/ribbon tails would look better if they protruded further beyond the top and bottom of the banner.

I think I’m doing a bad job explaining what I mean, but it would make the banner section more obvious. Currently the detail of the tails are a little lost

1 Like

Lovely job. Looks really ribbony now

1 Like

Ok, not going to ask for the CRV, as I want to do this for myself, but what is your recommendation for paths for the ends of the ribbon to make it look “flowy”… I don’t think I saw those in the thread as I re-read it.

There is quite a contrast in the details of the trees in that pic, so you may be able to wangle something half decent using the “component from bitmap” button in vcarve.