Phil's random vcarve posts (phil's projects)

Much better. thank you for appeasing me

1 Like

You should do a Gene Simmons oneā€¦ then the birds can land on his tounge

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if you are interested in another piece of software, but blender is free and can import wavefront obj and export as stl. If you donā€™t want to use more software you can send me the file and I will give it a go on converting it over for you. Shoot me a PM if you want to go this route.

here is screenshot of a barret .50 STL opened up in meshmixer that I converted in blender.

3 Likes

https://www.blender.org/

2 Likes

Hey Phil, do you have a recommendation on your favorite ball nose bits and links to get them? I have VCarve Pro and Iā€™m starting to get into the Design and Make projects and I only have a 1/4" ball nose and a 3/8" ball nose that came with the X-Carve starter pack. I donā€™t think the 3/8" bit is staying sharp also looking to get some tapered ball nose bits also.

Any help is appreciated, hopefully today I can post two projects I have completed.

Thanks again.

Ok, here is my Hat Award that my camping buddy and I will pass back and forth on our camping golf trips. Who ever wins the round gets to pick a hat from the pro shop and now gets to own the plaque until the next outing.

My 27th anniversary will be on the 18th so I made this up to give to the wife.

The only think I donā€™t like about the Hat Award is that I didnā€™t wrap the text and that was before I explored some of the videos on how to do it.

3 Likes

Both were with the Inventables 1/8" but I did 8% on the step over. Do you recommend 10% ?

1 Like

The heart is 7.50" wide and 4.25" high. So pretty small It was in some cheap pine I had lying around but I still think the bit might be losing some of itā€™s edge. Lots of fuzzies after the cut.

Its weird, the award doesnā€™t show tool marks and was cut in poplar the heart was cut in some pine I had lying around. Donā€™t know.

1 Like

I figure the wife just knowing I didnā€™t forget this year will be happy tool marks or not.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

how long does it take to carve a birdhouse front like this?

Phil, Did you end up trying Blender? Did it work for you as far as converting OBJ to STL?

1 Like

Oh no worries man, I was just curious.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson That musta been a BIG X-CARVE!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a plaque I carved today with Vcarve, Have just put a coat of stain on so far.

11 Likes

yeah!!! GO PACK GO!!!

2 Likes

FWIW that is a picture of a Slowpitch softball batā€¦

do you use keyhole slots to mount these to the wall?

I guess thereā€™s some sort ofnkeyhole bit you use?

Looks great and I love the manufacturing time.

1 Like

Yeah. most often a 3/8 one is usedā€¦ if you need a 1/2 one, you should probably hang the piece a different way. both have a 1/4" upper shaft