Port Problems!

In one of the pics above I have UGS open and it says no driver for port COM4 and I have my device manager open right next to it that says Arduino Uno (COM4), I try to update my drivers and says drivers are up to date.

1 Like

Ok Thomas, Iā€™m back up and running. Seems my laptop was the problem. Donā€™t ask me why, but I read someplace that you shouldnā€™t run your CNC with a laptop. Something to do with auto timeouts or some such thing. All I know is my laptop worked for a few days then it stopped! My new (old xp) desktop arrived today and I hooked it up and ran through the procedures and it works just fine, for how long is to be determined, but you might look at dumping your laptop and going with a desk top if you have one. Thatā€™s all I have to contribute to this thread yaā€™ll.

1 Like

Thanks James, Yea I have heard about the time out thing, supposedly if you go into the Control Panel>power settings then you can shut down Hibernate, timeouts, energy savers, screen savers, etc. I have all of mine set to disabled and I have my laptop set to performance instead of energy saver so that nothing shuts down. I know quit of few other people that are running on laptops as well with out problems, but yea if I dont get this thing figured out I will bring out one of my desktops, but the one I would bring out I need to order a wireless network card for! Thanks again!

Thomas, You donā€™t need a card, if you have a router already, just go to Best Buy ( or others ) and pick up a Netgear N300 WiFi USB adapter or similar and plug it in to a usb port and you are all set. I am in my front spare bedroom (converted to the cnc room) and my router is in the other end of the house and I am having no problems picking up my wifi router here.

1 Like

Ill try it out thanks!!

Here is what I installed for my USB port problems. Looks like PC is not producing enough power for Arduino. As soon as I put this on, all my ports start dinging, windows found all necessary drivers and updated in 15 seconds. Why I didnā€™t think this before??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&m=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&tag=ianker-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005NGQWL2

1 Like

Yep. Insufficient power. Powered USB ports can solve a lot of laptop AND Raspberry Pi problems.

I wonder if that would help my problem though? I ran my X CARVE for 3 weeks before I started having port problems. Now finally yesterday I said screw it and partitioned my hard drive, installed windows again and re-downloaded all the drivers and programs and now everything works againā€¦but I dont know if its going to do it again in 2 weeks, 3 weeksā€¦I dont feel like continually having to wipe out my computer and installing everything again every few weeks!! but I dont know if its a power problem either, if it ran for 3 weeks the first time and its running now!! I guess if it happens again it wouldnt hurt to try? I also have a guy thats sending me a USB network so I may just bring out my desktop anyway!!

Itā€™s not very much effort anyway. You can buy cheaper USB hub from any electronic shop. I purchased little expensive one because my stupidly fancy mother board requirements. It does make sense. First problem I had was on my Laptop. That laptop is i7 processor Samsung with Windows 8.1, 1 Tb hard disk and 8 Gb ram. Worked only 2 days before problems starts. Suddenly was loosing connection, Gantry was crashing any place closest. I purchased Desktop PC with i5 processor, 500 Gb solid state hard drive, 16 Gb of fast ram running on ASUS Pro series mother board.
Start working another week. After first week of wisdom, I turned my PC on, canā€™t login, because not reading my USB mouse and keyboard. After all hard time, I manage to use one of 3.1 USB port for K/M and other one for X-Carve. No other USBā€™s reading anything. Until then. Now theyā€™re all back to life with external powered USB hub.

Hmm. maybe thats it!! I do have the Arduino, a mouse and a usb drive plugged into the laptop! I will definitively give it a try, but I want the laptop to lose connection first to see if it actually fixes my problem!! It probably will from how you are explaining it!! Thanks Alan, time will tell!

Just make sure it is a POWERED USB hub, not just a USB hub. It must have itā€™s own external powersupply. Also, make sure it is compatible with USB 2.0. Here is an example:

You are correct, my lazy typing, it must be external powered. If you realized the link I sent has two different options. One is 3.0 other one is 2.0 and 3.0 combination. I donā€™t see any reason to buy more than enough output for old 2.0 USB. Besides, it is backward compatible. You can use any 3.0 port for 2.0 USB devices.
My Arduino connected to 3.0, when I click UCS, there is no waiting time for opening port. Lightning fast.

Well the port problem came back! I have not tried the external port hub yet because a guy was nice enough to send me a USB network for the desktop that I was originally going to use for the CNC in the first place, so I will try that first and if it is still happening then I will go out and get a Port Hub!!

OK the desktop is setup, so far everything is workingā€¦again!!

1 Like

Well after a week and 2 days, I have the same error message with my Desktop as I did with my Laptop!! I guess I go to Best Buy tomorrow and pick me up a Port Hub!! We will see if that works!

Okay fellaā€™s here one for your information. As you all know if youā€™ve followed any of my posts here Iā€™ve had a problem with Easel typing very slowly. I am using a window 7 pc with a wireless wifi connection. My brother in the Dallas area is a pc guru to say the least and I asked him what I could do to increase the speed of my computer. Seems the easiest thing to do is dump the wireless wifi and go with a direct hard line connection. I sent him the link to Easel and he tested this for me (he has no cnc router) and reports he has no problem typing text in easel with his setup ( hard wired to router) so in the morning Iā€™m dumping my wireless wifi and testing a hard wired set up. If it works I will report here (after I have run the CAT5e network cable through my attic) and let you know how it functioned.

1 Like

@JamesMitchell James as an alternative to running Cat 5 (your should run Cat 6 btw), you might try these:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439902410&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+ethernet

Cheap and effective. I stream video to my garage with these babies. There is no way Easel uses THAT much bandwidth. The challenge is, you need to connect the one in your house to the same phase as your garage. You will see your breakers in your fuse box divided into right side and left sideā€¦ if you can connect one unit to the same side as your garage breaker you should be good to go. If not, you can bridge the two phases but that requires another piece of equipment.

1 Like

okay fellaā€™s hereā€™s the answer to my slow typing problems:https:

Just curious when on wireless on that computer run a speed test at speedtest.net and see what speed results you get.

Well Brian that may tell me something, but Iā€™ve already made the change to the system and I am satisfied that it has made a major improvement in the time it takes to type. As for the speed, I really donā€™t care what it was or is now, just that it is improved is all Iā€™m interested in. Thanks for the suggestion all the same.