Port Problems!

Tonight I attempted to make a sign for my shop, didn’t go so well, but I think I know what the problem was, well part of it anyway. Tomorrow I will try again hopefully with better results.

Before you start the next one, check your belt tensions and eccentric nuts, after as much carving as you have done you may need to tighten everything up.

I have also found that if I stop vacuuming up the dust, it will accumulate on the Y axis and clog the vwheels potentially causing the Y axis to miss a step which will throw everything off. So don’t leave it unattended for very long.

Thanks for the info, yes I check my belts and nuts constantly and all are fine and I am continually vacuuming the dust up and from the belts and idler motor gears.

1 Like

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows? I know I have messed around with Easel on a 32 bit machine and it was very choppy and slow.

Yes, unfortunately I have a 32 bit machine, but if this keeps up I will look into getting a 64 bit pc.

This is my 3rd attempt at carving this sign, though it went better than the other two, it leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Like

There you go James. It’s getting there. You may want to consider practicing carry your X/Y/Z zero point to bottom corner of the material, and of course I suggest you to be more precise for material angle. This time you will have even edges, centered letters. Fantastic.

The reason for the letter Y was the 1/4 inch bit was too large to carve it when it put the g-code toolpath together. A 1/8th inch bit would clear that up and also the quality of the carve depends greatly on the bit you’re using. 1. not sure what bit you’re using but for that project I would use a Solid Carbide 2 Flute Straight End Mill one should’ve come with your starter set of bits if you purchased it. Also when you say used what Easel recommended, May I ask what type of wood did you use and what type of wood did you select in easel? and also what depth per pass did you use? You will learn quickly those two numbers are extremely important and mean the difference between a nice project and a garbage pile project.

1.) it was a 1/4" 2 flute flat end mill bit, 2.) cutting oak, used maple as there is no oak choice, 3.) believe it was .028 in @ 40 in per min, thats per easel when you do your set up your materials.

Don’t get what you are getting at here? x/y/z/ zero point to bottom corner???

With the 611 you can increase the DOC to at least .05 (.1 should be fine but I have not tested it in oak) with that .25 end mill.

His numbers seem ok, not sure what speed he has his spindle set to. Red oak is tricky, could be a bad bit or really looks to me like his table is not level or his axis is not level. But can’t get a good look at the out come on his video

That means you can have machine auto homing or you can jog it to corner of your work material ant set zero.

Not to be a kill joy but this looks to be getting a little off topic from the original post. It might be a good idea to continue this conversation on it’s own thread.

2 Likes

So Rusty, where are you from? What is your favorite material to carve?

2 Likes

That was the good one. :joy:

I have new socks! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dress sock or athletics?

Just so we are all on the same page here:

3 Likes

I like to buy the Boot cut and then modify them myself to be crew height.