Hi, I know this x carve is going to be awesome. But there have been some frustrations, so I wanted to jot them down in the spirit of being productive.
Of course something this cool and affordable is going to have its issues. So here they are. Maybe this will help inventables solve these issues.
First, the machine has been upgraded or altered but the instructions have not been. I have the 500x500. Turns out one of if the drag chains now go on similar to the 1000x1000.
The machine is black. Sleek looking? Yes. Hard to see what the fella is doing in the videos because black on black is hard to see? Also yes
Power supply: it just dangles. I keep ripping wires out as I move the thing around. Kind of a pain in the butt. I guess my first project will be building something to stabilize this. Also, the wires at 6,6,4,and 3 are too short. Not too short for them to reach, too short for the power supply. That thing is going to be full of saw dust.
Instructions say to check that the z axis is plum. Maybe this should be done before the waste board is put on. A big ol square won’t fit unless I take off the waste board which had me thinking, “well, why did I put this on if I just have to take it off”
Packing: a several of the screws and washers were packed in bags that became punctured during shipping. I wound up making a bunch of trips to hardware stores looking for these missing metric bolts. I know, I wish that everything was metric, but I’m in the USA and we do it like Burma and Liberia, so call your congressperson. 3mm set screws are hard to track down. Work on that packing!
Thanks for the tools. I’m glad you sent them because my other metric stuff (like my metric hex wrenches) don’t fit in the screws. I hope I don’t lose the tools that were sent to me because apparently the measurement is off. Maybe, I don’t know. Just calling it as I see it.
Speaking of those bolts, the rails’ holes are not lined up properly with holes in brackets. Every rail has a cross threaded screw because of this. I even called a few friends over because I couldn’t believe it. They concurred, holes don’t line up. Just drive the bolt in crooked and hope for the best. Looks like inventables changed from the self tappers to something that’s already been threaded. Heart was in the right place, functionally speaking, it didn’t work.
Belts don’t stay put. I’ve seen people using zip ties to hold them in place. Kind of Mickey Mouse. I put the belts through the brackets backwards, kicked the loose end off to the side and cranked that sucker down. Would have preferred for them to just work as intended per the instructions. Would have saved an hour or so.
I’m still working on the computer part. I’m at the “test your stuff” part of making this thing and I’m stuck. But this is very unclear. I’m waiting for an email from my good friend Jeff ma (who has been wonderful by the way) to figure that part out.
So the good stuff is potential and the frustrations are kinetic at the moment and its eating me up cause Paulie wants to make some stuff!
Also worth noting, I ordered this thing on a Monday and it was on my doorstep across the country on Thursday. That’s pretty amazing.
Unfortunately that means that by the time that I run into a problem, inventables is closed because the stupid earth is round and we have these dumb time zones. Which is why the online instructions should really be top notch.
Can’t wait to get making stuff. I hope inventables fixes these issues cause if this works as well as YouTube shows it working, I’m going to be sending inventables a lot of money (don’t tell my wife please)
All my best!