Share your fine detail projects

Not sure if you are asking in regards to my carve or not but if so yes it was done on a stock 2016 xcarve.

@PhilJohnson: I asked that because, to the best of my knowleddge, the X-carve can’t do true 3D carves. It is limited to 2.5D (bah relief) carves.

http://www.shopbottools.com/images/Apps/2d3d_b.gif

1 Like

@picengravertoo: Do you mean to imply with your post that the X-carve can do true 3D? As far as I can see from the image you posted there are no undercuts to the portion you marked as 3D. True 3D requires a fourth axis and the X-carve only has three (X, Y, and Z).

@KaseyHellawell: It is a marvelous carve! What software did you use? If it was V-carve Pro I’d love it if you’d share the project file, what bits, speeds, and depths you used, etc., so I can try such a carve and learn for myself how it was done.

I made this following vectric’s training videos. If you haven’t taken a look at them I highly suggest you do! I learned allot just by watching the videos! Anyways I won;t share the file cause you can follow this video here and learn allot more making it yourself following their instructions!

Hope that helps

3D carving only requires 3 axis’s (X,Y,& Z) moving the bit to carve the material at the same time. Even our image to gcode programs can generate a 3D cutting gcode files (relief) with a grayscale Depth Map or similar image.

Even if you have a 4th axis rotary, only 3 axis’s will be moving at the same time to 3D carve your project. X, Z & A axis’s or Y, Z & A axis’s depending on how it’s setup and programmed.

1 Like

@KaseyHellawell. Thanks! I will check out that link.

@RobertCanning: From my perspective that carve is 2.5D. An example of what I consider a 3D carve would be setting a 4"(W) x 4"(L) x 12"(H) block of wood on your wasteboard, securing the material, and carving all four sides of it so that you end up with something like a 12" tall statue, a lathe-turned chair leg, a round wooden candleholder, etc…

When I think of 3D I think of something like the output of a 3D printer. And I know of no way that the X-carve can carve something like that.

All carved on my X-Carve…the spoon on an unmodified X-Carve, the skull and spindle were cut using a rotary axis on the x-carve…

1 Like

Hey!! Get out of here! That’s cheating! Haha amazing work love that skull!

1 Like

By your analogy of 3D carving, could I use one of these Spherical end cutters to do a 3D carving with a 3 axis machine like the X-Carve?

How about with one of these Woodruff keyseat cutters?

More information about 2D, 2.5D & 3D CNC carving here:

ShopBot 3D Cutting & CNC Routers

1 Like

@ErikJenkins: Wow! Love the carves! (Especially the chair leg.) Please share details of how you modified the X-carve to do them!

Most of it is here:

1 Like