Sign your work?

Who, if anyone, signs their work? If so, how? Maybe a small engraving of your initials somewhere kinda hidden? I would imagine that with signs that would not be easy to do (and the customer may not want some letters on their plaque) but, with carvings, I see where it could be done. …Just curious

I would probably sign 3D work that I designed and created myself, but not on stuff where I downloaded images and just watched the machine do the work. i would sign the work on the back though for the reason you stated.

1 Like

That’s cool!

1 Like

Right now I use a clear label with black printing from my label maker on either the back of a project or the bottom of a project. I then seal the label with clear coat. I plan to get an electric branding iron from Rockler eventually.

2 Likes

For that very reason, I do all my modeling from scratch.

In the very near future, I can see 3d printers being in every home. You won’t go to the store to buy a spatula; you’ll buy a file online and print it. Kind of Jetson’s-esque , but it is coming.

3D modeling of consumer product libraries is already in the works.

1 Like

LOL, my 2d skills have barely evolved beyond “mommy look what I drew” refrigerator art. I have been exploring grayscale relief work.

I agree about the future and the “Jetson’s-esque” made me laugh, the sad part is the kids today may not even know what that means. :slight_smile: They don’t share the same excitement we had for saturday morning cartoons.

1 Like

I recently built a bookshelf with someone as his first woodworking project and wanted to do something nice to sign the work. So I used the X-Carve to carve a recess on the bottom of a shelf, then carved a fitting inlay piece out of a different (lighter colored) piece of wood. Then both of us signed our names on a piece of paper, I photographed that, cleaned it up a little in Gimp (Photoshop clone) and then used my cheap laser engraver to engrave the signatures on the inlay piece, then glued that into place under the shelf.

While I do have a branding iron with just my name on it that I’ve used for other projects, the method above made it easy to do the one off signature of a guest woodworker.

That gives me a few ideas, including using resin as a infil. Thank you!

Lol, I have one of those stories. It was acrylic displays.

makes me sick thinking about it.

1 Like

I use a stamp

4 Likes

But did you make the stamp?

Do you make the backs of your customers stamps? With a smaller stamp?

Yeah I made the stamp

Linoleum I believe it was labeled speedball or something. Amazon.ca had it it worked great.

1 Like

I sign my guitar bodies with my laser at the bottom of a pick up route.

1 Like

Either I engrave my line into a piece or I also have a brass branding iron that my sister got me from Rockler about 20 years ago after a table I made wound up in Jesse Ventura’s house without any identifying marks. I recognized it and was able to get my ID on it in the end. Interestingly enough I have a project on the bench right now that has some of the same wood used in that table in it.

On the back of a sign I am working on:

Here is the front with the fish
:

2 Likes

+1 for Creative Commons attribution!

I know this is an old thread but I didn’t want to open a new one just for the question.

I know I got a stamp and I stamp only gifts and items I make for charity events etc…

But how many of you guy’s stamp the work you sell to customers? Is it right to toss your name on the back of a sign? I’ve always been hesitant to do it, as I was never sure how the customer would feel having paid money and having my logo on the back of it.

Actually you’ve got it a bit wrong, the customers don’t object to a signature, they practically insist on it!

2 Likes

Hahaha