Sketch's Projects

The second project is for another mate of mine who needed to sort some batteries at his shop.

Started with a Fusion 360 mockup and went from there… it is out of 3mm MDF and didn’t need to support much weight, but it ended up being pretty sturdy.

10 Likes

Thanks @ErikJenkins

2 Likes

Great projects!

1 Like

My next two projects will involve the use of these two items respectively.

4 Likes

Made a wood working mallet a while back and forgot to post it.

Here’s the project: Woodworking Mallet

3 Likes

Also, I replaced the surface of my X-Carve with a new insert and milled it flat and put the grid and holes back on.

Here’s a few photos of the process:

5 Likes

Progress?

Yep, I’ll have a more in depth write up coming soon, but here are a few pics…

5 Likes

Lol… “soon”

Guess that is life.

A few more pics:

8 Likes

Also I finally made a fidget spinner:

7 Likes

I love those boxes

1 Like

Having fun with a V-bit. Made a box by carving on the line. The vectors are super simple… just two intersecting rectangles and a line.

10 Likes

What was your depth? Thickness of the stock minus what?

The stock is 3.175mm (1/8th") so I carved 3mm deep with a DOC set to 1.6mm. It cut in 2 passes and left just enough of the outer paper to easily cut and fold.

1 Like

next try this
not sure what angle v bit you would need though

Possibly a 60° bit. I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

Given that it is a regular Dodecahedron that would be formed, the dihedral angle would be approximately 116.56º and that would make the angle that we are searching for to be 63.44º. Since that bit doesn’t exist you could use a bit of greater degrees like 72º but there would be a significant gap, but with a hint of sanding on the MDF that I’ll be testing, I bet I could make the 60º bit work.

There isn’t really a regular polyhedron made up of hexagons, you’d have to throw in another shape into the mix to get it to work, e.g. Truncated icosahedron (pentagons plus hexagons), Octahedral (squares plus hexagons), or Tetrahedral (triangles plus hexagons) In the case of the Truncated icosahedron (most likely one to do… think soccer ball) you would need two different angled bits, one at 41.811º for the 6 sided to 6 sided joins and another bit at 37.38º for the 6 sided to 5 sided joins. At least, I think that is what you’d need… :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeah, after I try a dodecahedron, I might try an Icosahedron… always wanted my own homemade 20 sided die :wink:

I’d need to find a bit close to 41.81º though.

1 Like

WOW, i really like those. great idea