Sketch's Projects

Carrying on with the V-bit play, I started laying out this dice tower in Easel after carving the cube.

6 Likes

I did end up carving the Dodecahedron that we were talking about… I actually carved two of different sizes. It looks like the smaller it gets the harder it is to fit all together given that you have to sand the 60º to 63ºish and the smaller one was more fiddly to get to all of the spots.

Here are a few pics of the smaller one that I did a two sided carve to achieve:

Now to try and carve the Icosahedron :smirk:

9 Likes

That looks awesome, well done that man :+1:

What’s the size? Nothing for reference… is that actual size?

The one in the pics stands a little less than 20mm tall. I thought the box knife might have been a good reference for scale, but here is another image:

2 Likes

And one more pic of these:

6 Likes

Thanks, that’s awesome. I assumed you had multiple attempts so wasnt sure if the one with the box knife was the same finished product…

Good stuff!!! D20 next? :smile:

Yep, that’s the Icosahedron I was talking about… but I’ll need to figure out a 69.095° bit.

Made a “pizza peel” for a friend. I put it in quotes because it is not for pizza and would be too small for that. More like bagel peel. V-carve inlay of Purple Heart of his logo.

9 Likes

This is extremely impressive, I love the end result.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the purple heart carve prior to inlay? I am curious how that part of the assembly went. Do you use a flush cut saw to trim off the excess? I’ve seen V-carve inlays before where a band saw is used, but this looks like it was possibly too large for that.

Thanks for sharing, posts like these are why I enjoy the forum.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics of the Purple Heart piece. It was about 5 or 6mm and after cutting the v inlay the back was only about 2-3mm thick, so I milled it off with the machine.

If the back were thicker I would have cut between the two with a Ryoba pull saw and cleaned it up with a block plane and some fine sand paper.

I also forgot to mention that I modeled the front edge curved slope in Fusion 360 and and cut it with the X-Carve as well.

Would you please explain to me how to achieved the interior bevel angle cut to then just fold it together? I want to make a bigger version of the dodecahedron but I am baffled as to how to cut the interior angles that meet which I believe have to be at 31.7 degrees if i’m not mistaken.

I would be so thankful if you could explain this to me. THANK YOU!

Hi @ForEverSkateStuff

For the Dodecahedron I used a 60º V-bit and carved almost all of the way through. Because MDF is paper on the outside the paper allows it to be folded up and glued. The problem as you stated is to get it to the right degree. A 60º V-bit will get each angled cut to 30º and then, depending on how big the Dodecahedron is, you have to use some sand paper or sanding block to get the angles the rest of the way to 31.7º… If the material thickness is thin enough and the final object is big enough, there is some flexibility in the material and less sanding is needed. Another option is to change the bit to be either the right degrees or an easier approach is to just file the tip a tiny bit and let it make a little gap of spacing at the bottom of the V groove. Hopefully this makes sense. Maybe I’ll give this another go and post about it again with anything else I find.

“Try it out” is probably the best advice I can say… that gives you a chance to tinker with it a bit and see what the real world issues or non-issues you might find. Working it out mathematically and in CAD is one thing… actually giving it a go may give you a better idea of how to adjust if it doesn’t work right away.

:slight_smile: