Support arm/boom for vac hose/cord

Hi folks:

A while ago I requested some information on an arm/boom to support a vacuum hose and power cord to the router. A few people came back with a suggestion for EMT or electrical conduit, which sounds fine. I happen to find in my shop a 1" piece of PVC the other day, and wondering if anyone has tried making something out of PVC, and if it’s rigid enough for the job? I don’t think three-quarter would be rigid enough, but this is fairly heavy, and seems pretty rigid to me. I don’t want to waste my time if it’s not going to work though. Anyone tried making a boom arm out of pvc?

As suggested by @DiegoPonce, I bought one of these. The pictures don’t convey how rigid this is. If you find the PVC route isn’t working for you I would suggest taking a look at one of these. Inexpensive too!

Hose Management

1 Like

I’m not sure this would work in my case or not. I not only have the vacuum hose but I have several water cooling hoses, and then of course the power cord for the spindle. Certainly looks like an inexpensive solution if it truly works

In that case, two might be a better solution. This would be more stiff than a “L” shaped PVC holder IMOHP. Not the only solution, just an example.

Worst case scenario, use the materials you have on hand and if that doesn’t work, try something else :slight_smile:

Good luck with your project.

1 Like

Thank you. I decided to give the holder a try. $15 isn’t that much, and can also use for my tablet if it doesn’t work on the CNC. Most of the time the travel of the gantry is limited anyway, rarely (if ever) do I use the entire table where travel may be an issue with the hose and this holder. I’m all for simple, and this certainly qualifies.

1 Like

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Well, the holder arrived a few days ago, but just too short for my machine. It may work on a smaller machine. I’m going to go to a piece of EMT conduit. Was trying to keep it simple, but this holder was not the answer for me. Thanks again for the suggestion though!