Tabs - Specify Amount and Placement

Hi @JohnSorensen (and others),

Thanks for being patient on this. I hadn’t wanted to reply until the feature was available, but I thought I’d drop in a note to let you all know that it’s getting closer. I can’t commit to an exact delivery date, but I have put in some significant time recently, and it is progressing through the stages to being released.

You might have read the post on Easel’s new architecture. My initial prototype of this feature was built on the old architecture, so I had to do some work to move it over to the new one. That’s been completed. I then came up with a new approach for generating the tab tool paths that I think is much more performant and requires much less code, but did require some modifications to our core tool path generation logic. That’s also been completed. (Side note, a benefit of this is that tabs now preview on the righthand side in real time as you move them around. Tabs currently don’t preview at all on the 3D side and you have to click “Show Toolpaths” to see them.) I’ve also added text fields to the cut settings panel to control tab height and width. I’m in the final stages of getting our automated tests working with this feature, doing some physical tests on actual jobs, and then it will be submitted for review by the rest of our team.

As I said before, this feature isn’t one of our top priorities (we have have to consider the overall feedback of the entire user base when setting priorities), and it is fairly complex, so it isn’t moving quite as quickly as a feature normally would. I apologize for that.

Jeff

4 Likes