Tall Y axis end plates

This is great.

One thing that I would add if I get to make them, would be another pair of 5.1mm holes spaced at 20mm vertically and placed 20mm to the right of the original pair… as an upgrade path to 40x40 extrusion for Y-axis stiffening.

I have some of these being made by a local machine shop. Mine are 20 mm wider then stock and are 6 inches tall. They are being made from 1/8 inch steel plate. This is one of many mods I am doing once all parts are fabed I’ll be taking them to a powder citing shop for a custom 2 tone x carve. Thinking black and flat red

How close to the waste board will you be able to cut using a standard length 1/8 bit?

I have no clue!! lol i use the dewalt 611 so we will see once they are done

Hmm you know i worry about the .125" steel it seems to flexible to me when the machine is working are you going to cross brace it? I believe depending on what kind of table that you are using this would be very easy to make a 90 degree bracket that solid mounts the endplates to your table

That just seems like alot of weight that high up in the air when essentially all that is holding the machine from flexing back and forth is those small brackets

when i get the plates i and going to fab up 4 other plates that will connect the y rails 2 on each side and they will conect to the base frame.i will also me making the base frame four of 20x40mm rails for more strength plus more of them to keep everything flat

Has anyone considered something like emachineshop.com. I have used them in the past for bits for my motorbike. Yes their software is proprietary, but they are a contract machine service and their prices for 50 or 25 are quite good. I’m guessing that 25 sets ( 100 pieces ) could be made for quite a bit cheaper than each of us could make a set ourselves.

I would be willing to either buy a set if someone did the legwork, or to bankroll the making of the sets.

Is anyone actually making these taller Y plates? I don’t know any machine shops where I am and I suppose the cost for a one off set would be prohibitive.

@DavidSohlstrom was awesome and made me a set of Y-Axis End Plates. You could ask him nicely :wink:

does anyone have this exact dimension? I dont see it in the Inventables drawing?

16.50mm on my drawing.

alright thanks I will go with that I wish it was on the drawing lol I mean maybe its 16.48mm you couldnt see that in the drawing assuming its directly in the middle

lol just giving you crap

thanks for you help

so I got a question for you if you are making your y plates extremely tall what are you going to do when you just want to cut a piece of .125" material sitting on the wasteboard? because the current z axis config will not allow this if you are raising the y axis up that far?

the only thing that i can see to do depending on how high that you go is replace the z axis extrusion with a longer one but if you go to hi you will have to change the acme screw for a longer one which might be an issue

Curious on what you guys think about this issue or do you just plan on cutting only large stock

Personally i would like to have the ability to stand a 2x4 on end and mill on the edge of it but while maintaing the ability to cut a .125" piece of material right on the wasteboard

1 Like

Having the taller end plates does give you room to cut thicker stock. To cut thinner stock, you can always insert a secodn or third sacrificial board. And if Michael Zawicki is making some, I will definitely take a set.

I plan on taking out my waste board putting an alumn bed and then pitting a vacuum table over that. I will be roughly 1 inch higher then stock for z height

Just picked up my plates from the machine shop

3 Likes

Next is to install on machine and test. Then get all other parts finished and send over to the powder coater

1 Like

Here they are

Yes that is a 2x4 I can mill on all sides

1 Like

When I get my X Carve, I am going to have to order these.