Tall Y axis end plates

I downloaded a 3D model of the standard Y axis end plate. I then added 50 mm to the height of the plate. For those in the US plate can be made from .250" plate. For the rest of the world 6 mm plate would work. I hope to attach a PDF and a dxf comparing the plates.

Dave

Y axis long and short.pdf (65.6 KB)

Y axis long and short.dxf (122.8 KB)

5 Likes

@DavidSohlstrom Nice work. We have something very close to that on our list of things to do. I was probably going to make it a little wider too.

1 Like

Is there enough room to make it wider. I have a water jet guy down in town that I can get 4 cut for not a lot om money. Then I would just have to set one up in my Tormach 770 and drill the holes in the correct places.
I also have a powder coat guy that will coat them for me.

Dave

1 Like

I’d purchase a set from you if you built them

Aaron

I don’t even own an X-Carve yet. I have plans on getting one at an unknown date. When I do order one I will get serious I will let you know.

I’m also working on a design to reverse the z axis to deal with the longer z travel. The spindle will travel with the maker slide and the V wheels will be on the carriage. This should give better support to the spindle with the longer travel.

Dave

That’s quite alright this is my first machine and I have a lot to learn so I am in no hurry.

Is anyone producing these extended MakerSlide End Plates? If so please drop me a line as I’m in need of a set.

Paul

I just ordered my machine yesterday so I will need to make myself a set. I have not talked to my water jet guy about them yet or my power coat guy so I do not know what a set is going to cost. As soon as I do I will let the group know.

Dave

Thanks Dave,
I downloaded the drawing and hope to have a set madras I’m at that step in my assemble and I’m on vacation so I wanted to continue when I return rather than redo it later. If you get your production of these up and running please let me know that way if I haven’t found a source I can purchase a set.
Paul

At Bart’s suggestion here is the tall Y axis end plate that is 50 mm taller and 20 mm wider that the standard Y axis end plate. Material is .25" steel or 6 mm steel.

Dave

14050_long-wide.dxf (96.4 KB)

1 Like

Has anyone tried this out yet with success? I managed to aquire some .25" aluminum and will probably make them on my x carve soon.

Eric

Because my machine is still in pieces and I just sent the W. T. Preston home with the owner so I can get started building my machine. I was going to have new plates water jet cut but after seeing the ones that John had machined in aluminum. I think I will just machine some on my Tormach 770.
That does not answer your question. One problem that you may run into is drilling the holes exactly where you need them.

The Preston loaded ready to go home.

Sounds good, I’m in no hurry to get this cut. The aluminum I have is actually 1/2"x3"x12" and I have 2 of them. Maybe I’ll just save them and eventually build a custom cnc, http://www.neo7cnc.com/ style. Been thinking of doing this for a few months now, but man ball screws, rails, and linear actuators are just so expensive. And I’ll probably need the 1/2" alu to make all kinds of brackets for that machine. It would be cool though if I managed to use my X-Carve to make any of the brackets, but I’m worried about precision.

Eric

You could check with John and see what he had to pay for the ones a local machine shop made for him. He may be able to get you a set made.

Dave

I tried making these up as SVG files and easel projects.
If anyone uses them let me know how they turn out.

Standard Y-Plate

Extra 50mm Y-Plate

1 Like

My plan is to mount the Y rails on 1x2" 8020. I think they are inherently stiffer and I can support accessories as well. Is there a reason to stick with plates?

How do you plan to make the connection between the MS and the 8020 and between the 8020 and the base of the machine. If you can figure that out with out loosing any travel on your Y axis or having to get longer 20X20 extrusions for the base then there is no reason not to use 1"X2" 8020.
One issue I see is without the holes that set the height of the Y axis you may run into problems there.

Dave

Big thanks to @DavidSohlstrom for making me a set of Y-Axis End Plates. I had a problem with the butcher block cutting board i was making, it just barely fit under the Z-axis.

New end plates painted gold and installed.

I’ll post another set of pictures for the 20mm holes i put into the waste board and Festool Clamps.

Enjoy,
Bill

3 Likes

Those are tap size holes for 5m .8. I am using them to raise the drag chain. They could be used of other things also.

Dave
Ariel, WA

That is what I used. If you can only get 6mm that would work also.

Dave
Ariel, WA