Tall Y axis end plates

I have a trick for the added height but I won’t let it out until it’s finished hope you all will like it. I think it’s a pretty good idea

I see everyone making these from steel plate - any reason not to manufacture it from aluminum? Also is it necessary to make the angled cut at the top or would a square plate work sufficiently?

@MichaelZawicki looking forward to your ideas too.

Aluminium will be OK, it will just have to be thicker to have the same strength as steel.
The angled cut may make changing the spoil board a little easier.

Environmental conditions permitting, 7075 could be a good candidate.

can be made from both. i chose steel to retain the factory look. also because if you use alum i would get longer screws for the maker slide i chose to go with steel. the angled cut you dont really need it but if will affect homing if you have the screw to close on the y axis. when i run homing cycle my dewalt is about 1/32 from touching the plate. any more questions pleas ask.

also for all of you who think it might be to tall. currently i have 2 of the OE style 24v spindles laying around so i took off the chuck where you screw on the ER11 collet. they are being sent over to same shop that mae my plates. my idea is to put them on a lathe and bore out the hole that was attached to the 24v spindle to 1/4 inch. from there i will have a shank made and press fitted into place. im doing this because all my bits can reach the waste board but 1. and its my engraving bit.

i am also working with the machine shop to make me a much larger collet with a 1/4 shank to into my dewalt. this larger collet, still under design phase will be able to use 1/2 inch shank tools maybe even larger.

1 Like

forgot to add that im looking into an ER25 collet design

So since it’s recommended to use .25"/6mm steel plate would 6mm alumnimum be too thin so double the thickness?

My bad i read the first post in the thread

For those in the US plate can be made from .250" plate. For the rest of the world 6 mm plate would work. I hope to attach a PDF and a dxf comparing the plates.

Figured it was for steel. Good to know that i can use the 1/4" aluminum i have laying around :slight_smile:

1 Like

If anyone is selling these, I would be down for a set! I’m also looking around for other work people are doing to extend the height of the Z axis so deeper carving is possible.

Mine are made out of 1/8 inch steel

My y plates cost me 8 USD for material and 100 USD to be made. If a order of 200 was made cost would go down to 40 and at that rate I could even get the patch power costed for a even 50 plus shipping

I could definitely use the taller makerslide end plates so I can accommodate taller stock in the machine. If anyone is selling these I am down to buy a set. Otherwise, I have one thick piece of graphite that has me debating cutting a hole in the wasteboard.

However, I also have already encountered maxing out the depth of what I can carve and want to be able to do deeper carvings. It seems like all the endmills I have purchased max out at about 1.5" of cutting depth or else I risk the collet rubbing on the side (depending on the design I’m carving). So I could also use recommendations for good sources of longer endmills.

However I am also interested to see what people have done to lengthen the Z- axis. I’m just at the beginning of looking into this so pardon my ignorance.

Yeah, I just don’t have the shop to do all this stuff in. Wish I had more space!

Thanks for the downloads Dave, I live in Tasmania and postage is expensive so I will be making a set rather than buying

Hi All,

First post on this forum.

I’ve searched for the answer to my question in the forums, if someone could kindly point me to the answer or help it would be much appreciated.

I’m going to raise the height of the Y rails about 1" (~25mm) using 6mm aluminium to DIY some end plates.
Do I have to update any setting in GBRL after the upgrade?

Many Thanks

Nope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super quick response, Many thanks :+1:

1 Like