The best way to go about making a tool shadow board?

I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about cutting a tool shadow board out of foam…F3M-00124-2d

My original idea was to lay out all my tools on a solid color background the way I’d like them laid out, take a picture, upload that picture into vcarve and create a tool path for each tool… Unfortunately I’m just learning and I’m having trouble figuring out how to do this, or if it’s even possible.

If someone would have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sterling

1 Like

What I do for things like this is exactly what you’re saying. I place all the objects out and trace them with a pen. I also either put a ruler in the picture or put two marks at a known distance to help me scale the vector to the right size on my computer. I do this all the time with Challenge coins that have awkward shapes and it works perfectly fine.

I hadn’t thought of foam! Great idea! I was going to make mine out of wood.

I just had luck with designing a knife sheath by taking a crisp photo of the knife and hand tracing it in InkScape. I might try my luck with a wrench tray.

It’s tricky doing the drawing at first, but after a while you get the hang of it — should go pretty quickly.

The alternative is to model the tools in 3D — I did that for my cigar box toolkit:

Custom gun cases but the same principal. Think he makes them from a picture.

I am really excited about trying a project like this but I am having a hard time finding a foam supplier. Where does everyone get their foam?

Thanks for the help!

Cam

1 Like

Kaizen foam — you can order it from specialty tool suppliers:

1 Like

Thanks for the info!