Trouble with X-axis

Easel and ugs. Ver 2.0

Without having the machine here to test, Iā€™m about out of ideas.

Here are things that bother me about your setup:

1. X motor is hot and current limit pot does not affect temperature.
  2. Travel distance error is both positive and negative (sometimes move is too short, some times too long)
  3. Your calibration distance is only approx. 25 percent of the total travel (calibrating at 200 mm instead of 790 mm). Not sure why it works out for Y but not X.

Sure wish I had this machine sitting here in front of me so I could find out what the heck is going on .

Iā€™ve reread the thread and Iā€™m just grasping at the straws that havenā€™t been grasped yet.

Reflash arduino if you havenā€™t.
Replace arduino if you have one or inventables will send you one.
Try unplugging all of the motors from the gshield except for the X and then measure the distance traveled. Donā€™t know if itā€™s possible for noise to be introduced into the X from the other motors. I doubt it but nothing to lose.

I havenā€™t reflashed arduino yet. I could try that.

As for noise I will try disconnecting all other axis and leave X. But I do believe when I ran a new piece of cable it crossed over the other cables at 90 degrees. So that should not have allowed noise. Itā€™s frustrating because itā€™s not off by much, but enough to cause me frustration.

Not sure on the fist 2 but for the 3rd. I calibrated to my max measurement and ruler, which is 600. My thoughts are regardless of distance calibrated to it should react the same every time on movement

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

There can be some benefit by calibrating the longer distance, but in actual practice, especially on a machine like the X-carve, I doubt that any difference would be significant.

Itā€™s a little bit like the effect you get by using an optical zoom. If you have something like a microscope that has a cross hair reticle and you line it up with a dot on the stage at low power and then zoom in you can see that you arenā€™t really on the center of the dot. But, if you line up the reticle with the center on the dot at high power when you go back to low power the reticle is still centered on the dot.

I have run the gambit, from visible slack to so tight I had to add power to the pot. Literally sounded like a guitar string

Iā€™ve been thinking about the repeatability of the error and what type of failure could cause a precise error and also have the error be multiples of the same distance.

How about a bad ball bearing?

Which ball bearings are you thinking?

Iā€™m assuming that you are not moving the Z axis during calibration of the X axis, so I would think that if it is a bearing problem, it would be on the V wheels for the X axis.

It wouldnā€™t take much twist of the X carriage to exhibit a 0.5 mm offset in the X direction at the tip of a mill/bit in the router. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s what you are using as a pointer to reference the ruler.

This is such a long shot I almost didnā€™t mention it.

All wheels on X carriage have been replaced.

Problem has been unchanged since before or after X stiffening mod.

I am using a v bit for reference on the ruler.

Deviations have been the same regardless of where I start among the X axis.

Youā€™ve changed everything. How can this be?

The X motor is getting hot. You have tried two physically different motors on the X axis and both of them got hot, no matter where the current limit was set. Is this correct?

Have you measured the output voltage of the 24 volt power supply?

I have not measured. But I will

well all, thank you for everything. I believe after the new gshield and a flash of the arduino I am getting a variance of ~.003 to ~.005. I think this is in spec. I am still going to look into why the motor gets hotter. one thing im suspecting is the x-carriage is not in spec. I think its pushing extra hard with v-wheels riding up on one of the Vs.

I also did this.

1 Like

Yes sir. The exactly what I did as well. 1 wheel on the top of the X carriage back right is the only one that is lifted off the rail when all others are touching.

yes sir. did that as well. even applied downward force. thatā€™s why I believe there is a manufacturer error on the carriage

a lot of possibilities.

1 Like