Upgraded Z Axis noisy

I just completed my upgrade to the new Z Axis. My after-upgrade test carve went fine but I did notice that the Axis is a lot noisier than the OEM axis. Is this to be expected? For some reason, not based on any fact or information, I had it in mind that the axis would run a lot smoother and quieter than original equipment. Perhaps all is well and it is just my expectations that were incorrect. I’d appreciate any insight from others who have upgraded concerning this. I will also say that the upgrade took much longer than the 2.5 hours discussed on the webinar. Getting the $%^%& stiffeners in place took nearly that long. :slight_smile: Maybe this is an IDO 10 T issue and not one of equipment problems. thanks

2 Likes

Direct-drive screw setup can run “harder” mechanically and thus become noisier. You can ty to increase Z-microstep setting to half of whatever current value you have (GRBL parameter $102 need to be changed too to keep Z calibrated for step/mm)

What are your current $102, $112 and $122 GRBL-parameters set to?

2 Likes

$102=49.909
$112=500.000
$122=50.00

1 Like

My experience is the same. It took WAY more than 2.5 hours & the new Z is loud as hell. It doesn’t seem to struggle though so I thought maybe I don’t have to worry. Curious what folks have to say.

1 Like

I contacted Inventables support and their answer was that "The new Z-axis is louder than the standard Nema 23 motors, it’s normal. " So perhaps with use it will quiet down a bit. I also asked about maybe lubing the drive screw and was told “…reserve greasing the lead screw as a maintenance if you start having inconsistency with your carves.” So, that’s what I know so far.

1 Like

Yeah, same here. Mine sounded almost like the gears are grinding. Even if it is working perfectly I can’t help think that it isn’t going to be durable making that sound.

2 Likes

I really can’t believe that it’s supposed to sound like a shot clutch throw out bearing

3 Likes

I believe it is the nature of steppers.
The slower the motion the more noise they make.
Think of is hold-move-hold-move cycling. Done slowly make a lot of noise, faster not so much.

2 Likes

Further on what MarkA.Bachman state:

Microstepping

The sole purpose of microstepping (set on the stepper drivers) is to smooth out motion during acceleration and decelleration. If the axis sound very rough during slow feed, increase microstepping value one notch (and change step/mm GRBL parameter to keep the axis calibrated) and see if that helps.

1 Like

Upon more frequent runs of the upgrade my Z-axis is exactly like everyone is describing, and have now noticed a ‘tat tat tat’ on the X-axis seemingly always near the center of the board as well making about 3-4 tats. It makes me ask myself if it’s missing steps, but it is staying on path. Does the above comments apply to the other X and Y motors as well or has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Same here, putting the stiffeners on took awhile and the new z axis is really noisy.

1 Like

I think there may be a break in period for the Z Axis. I did a 3 hours carve today and by the end, the noise abated noticeably.

1 Like

Good morning everyone, the X-Carve has been improved a lot with these new components. I had already changed my steppers and my belts must have 9mm. Like all of you, this new Z axis didn’t take me 1 hour, but closer to 3 hours. Besides, I also had a noise from hell. I changed, or more simply doubled, the value of the machine codes on lines 112 and 122, so the noise has been reduced, even by a lot. I had in line 112, 500, I increased it to 1000. In line 122, I had 50, I increased it to 100. A coincidence, perhaps, but I gave them a little acceleration boost. I tried beyond these values ​​and it was slightly too fast, but?

1 Like

Thank you for the insights and suggestion. Think I will give it a shot to see if it works more efficiently for me too. It has quieted down a bit with about 3 hours of carve under its new “belt” but still noisy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

grease?

1 Like

I have the same noise on my machine . I tried a little graphite on the screw no change still Loud. I’ll wait for Inventables to come up for a solution.

1 Like

Same issue here and my concern is when its not even cutting its a horrible noise like metal being chewed up. Ex. When you set the Z and then you raise it before cutting, it is HORRIBLE. lol I have tried a grease tiny bit but no change after 3 weeks with the grease.

1 Like

I was told by the Inventables folks that grease is not the answer. they claim the new motors are larger and create more torque than the OEM motors so . . . . .:frowning:

1 Like

My guess is that you will wait a long time.

1 Like

Just finished my upgrade and happy I found this thread because I was about to email inventables about it. So it seems that it’s a known/justified issue and that GRBL setting changes might be a solution $112=1000, $122=100 by one person’s suggestion (that’s written out partially for my future reference sake). Does anyone know if adjusting those settings will have any issue on cuts, I’ve never touched machine settings before this upgrade and don’t want to screw anything up. Overall upgrade is pretty nice, haven’t cut yet though but being able to cut thicker material will be great.