V-bit Feed, Speed, and Stepover

First time posting but I’ve been a long time lurking. I just got into V-Carve and need some help.

I know feeds and speeds and stepover are a nonstop topic among CNCers, but I need a bit of guidance on feed, speed, and stepover for a v-bit. Generic work, generic 30 degree bit. I just need some sort of generic guidance. I can learn and adjust as I go, but I need help finding a place to start.

Thoughts?

It is actually on Vcarve defaults. You’re saying 30 degree bit, very unusual size for V carving. 30 degree mostly good for Engraving. Other way to have correct parameters, you can create new V bit on tool database by giving all sizes for your bit, V carve automatically puts step overs and feed rates. Keep step overs same, you can play feed rate and plunge.

Here is the screen shot for 30 Degree bit.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that, practice 60 and mostly 90 degree V bits to have perfect carving. If you go Favorite Bits post on this form, you’ll see several options for V carving, I put some post about 90 Degree V bit and link to it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback Alan. That is so helpful. When I made a 30 degree v-carve bit, I changed all the feed, rpm, and stuff, and I’m not sure I should have. I didn’t even see the 30 degree bit selection initially. I’ll likely try to grab some 60 degree bits today.

Question, using the stock Shapeoko 2 spindle (haven’t had a chance to upgrade yet), should I turn down the RPMs when using a V-bit?

Keep the RPM, lower down Feed Rate. You’ll be good.

I use 30 degree bit for vcarving when the lines are narrow.

1 Like

Yes, that’s good way to do it. But he is the beginner, I didn’t say it’s impossible. Good practice starts with simplicity. :slight_smile:

Hi there guys,

I have a 90 degree V bit from carbitool (shape like this http://www.timberbits.com/assets/full/T112.jpg) but im having trouble getting the parameters right… Any advice would be awesome!

Timberbits usually sells bits matches generic brands. This one looks like standart 90 degree V bit.
Which software you’re planning to use it. If it is Vcarve, all you have to do is check D parameters on built in V bit tool.

Thanks for the reply Alan! I use Aspire, I change the ‘D’ parameters to match the ‘a’ values depicted in the previous link but the only the stepover values change.
Pass depth is at 2mm
Feed rate is 15 mm/ sec
Plunge rate is 5mm/sec
I can’t remember if I have edited these properties though. Does that sound right to you?
Also cheers for the pro tip re Timberbits :grinning:

Unfortunately I’m using inch system. Here is my screen shot and original parameters.

1 Like

Many many thanks Alan! I will convert and do a test run.

WOW, That was WELL too fast hey??? I mean, I guess it did it but it was not liking it. Definitely wouldn’t do it again at those rates. Gonna try halving these values.

1 Like

I’m using Amana Tools replaceable blade V bit. Cuts like a butter with no problem. You may want to lower your feedrate and plunge rate to half and have some experiment.

Yeh, half seemed to be pretty on the money to be honest hey :slight_smile:

Well got that bit worked out but now I’m having other issues…

• Belts and v-wheels seem pretty nice n firm but I am getting the occasional strange little staggering type motion in transit.

• Also notices that if I make a closed shape the start and end won’t line up anymore?

• Lastly when I’m trying to v-carve ‘corner cuts’ it ends up looking like all kinds of nasty.

Think I’m gonna start a new thread for the above

1 Like

Hi there guys,

Just an update, looks like it was the pots on the gshield that needed a little more juice. Still doing tests but so far so good :wink:

Sorry for unearthing the thread but…
Do you mean 60 - 90 degree bits are finer and create nicer carves?
What’s the relationship of degree bit to the carve? How do know you something is “for engraving”? I know Phil states he uses 20* bits all the time but I can’t figure out how to adjust my settings for my 30* bit.

Thanks, y’all!

I’m using easel and just wanted to do some simple engraving on acrylic sheeting. What do you guys suggest for settings? It’s the 30°bit from inventables