V-Carve Lettering Problem

Ok @Zach_Kaplan I did some more tests

Cut at depth of .25

with clean up pass

No clean up pass

Cut at depth of .125

I also cut a bigger version the original was 4" x 1.5", I Cut this one at 6" x 2.25"

1 Like

It looks like the .125" depth looks better.

Do you think it’s a tool path issue or a depth issue or both?

I think Its is a tool path issue. I think the the sides of the letters are to steep so then it goes to clean the bottom the fatter part of the bit touches the top of the word and rounds that corner off. You can kinda see what happens in this video, sorry for the quality don’t have very good light where my X-Carve is.

Test Video

1 Like

Looks like the tool path starts the downward diagonal clean up in the wrong spot causing the bulge. Like this.

1 Like

In the video it looks like the bit angle isn’t consistent, looks like a smaller angle at the end, could you take a picture of the bit while stationary.

Please forgive me. I am sure this project was shared but I scrolled through twice and didn’t see the link… been a long day.

Would someone mind sharing it again. I’d like to try this.

Thanks!

1 Like

I gave it a test with a Lee Valley 60 degree and have the same results. It is a pretty deep cut for such small letters though.

Bulges in the E as well

1 Like

@DebbieLee, did that happen in the final pass?

Try rotating your file 90 degrees and cut see if the bulge changes direction or stays. Then we can start to determine if one of you axis are flexing or some other hardware issue.

Hey Ruwan,

Yes pretty sure it did but I got interrupted right at the end of the cut. I should have a little time tomorrow so I will redo it again and shoot video as well.

We cut several other projects both vbit and straight bit on that particular machine today and did not have any other issues.

Hmm actually I will redo it on our other machine as well to see if there is any difference.

Enjoy your weekend!

1 Like

Hey Rowan,

Yes 100 percent it happens on the final pass cleaning the corners.

I used another machine and because someone suggested it I also turned the design 90 degrees and as you can see it is still there.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

The bit is flat tip ? I dont know about the person having the problem originally but mine is not.

Thanks @DebbieLee, this(and results from others) helps a lot. We are investigating toolpath generation.

Original poster here, also not flat nose bit.

-Al

3 Likes

I just wanted to post an update on this from our end. We are still working on this. We have some improvements in process that we believe will address these issues.

2 Likes

Hi @Al13, @DustinBurton, @DebbieLee, and others,

Thank you for your patience.

We just released a fix for this issue. We believe it was due to the method we used to break parabolic curves into small line segments (Gcode G1 commands). We carved the same project and believe it is fixed (see below, left: before the fix, right: after the fix). However, we would appreciate if you could also confirm.

Thank you!

Ruwan

3 Likes

In the final pass of a v-carving project, we have lines and parabolas (Please note these parabolas are not G-Code arcs)
When we generate toolpaths, we have to convert them into G1 commands (and G0 commands between a pair of G1 commands, if the ending and starting points do not coincide).
Converting final pass lines to G1 commands is straightforward. In the case of final pass parabolas our approach is to break them into a sequence of G1 commands while maintaining carving quality.

2 Likes

Mind-Blown

This one looks OK to me.

5 Likes