V-Carve Lettering Problem

@DebbieLee, thanks a lot for testing it again!. That looks awesome!!

1 Like

Is there any chance that this issue hasn’t been 100% resolved?

I did some v carving for the first time with Easel Pro yesterday and the carve was looking really good until the very end. While running the final pass to clean out the corners of the letters it ended up cutting out more wood than it should’ve.

I was using Inventables 60º v bit that comes to a sharp point and used all the default speeds and feeds. Also, the simulator doesn’t reflect anything strange going on with the tool path in those areas.

I haven’t had my x carve long, but I used all of Phil Johnson’s tips from his website and Robert Rieke’s videos while building my machine, so I believe my machine is up to par.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Link to Easel Project:
http://easel.inventables.com/projects/o3jxPXyyE26o9hYKFfQjqQ

2 Likes

Your bit is not a true point. Turn it around and you’ll see a flat.

Hi Ted,

The earlier issue was resolved, but we think there might be something different going wrong with the tool paths in your project. We’ve opened a ticket to investigate, and we’ll follow up when we learn more.

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks Guys.

Jeff, I’m looking forward to hearing what you guys are able to figure out.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, just wondering if you’ve got anything figured out on this yet?

Hi Ted,

Thanks for checking in. We are still actively investigating this. We’ll follow up as soon as we have info. Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

1 Like

Hello,
I finished putting the x-carve together and I’m new to cnc. I’ve been looking through the forum so that my questions are not answered already somewhere else. I think this thread addresses my issue.

Has anyone had any success with the 60º bit that is sold by inventables? Based on what is being said it’s not the bit but the paths? Is this strictly an easel issue and how easel deals with the 60º bit? I have not had one successful carve with the 60º bit because of the corners being blown out by a final pass. Looks great until the bit comes back and plunges all the corners.

I’m looking forward to contributing ideas and projects to this forum as soon I as have a good grasp on the limitation and boundaries of the x-carve.

I got tired of waiting on a solution and bought Vcarve Desktop. I didn’t like the idea of having to spend the money on the software, but it is worth the cost. Better control of the toolpaths, that result in a much better finished product. I’d feel bad selling one of these signs to a customer with the corners being overcut.

2 Likes

So quickly we find our limits only to keep moving forward.

You won’t look back

1 Like

So why is the 60º bit option in easel? Does anyone use it for anything? Is it there to make easel pro look more robust? Do other angle bits work besides the 90º. I have had nice results with the 90º bit (paths works like they should).

I almost always use the 60 degree v-bit for the majority of my carvings now. I have not used the 90 degree bit since the 60 does everything I need it to. I also have had no issues with toolpaths (other than user error).

Thanks for the input Brandon. I’m assuming your using Easel? When I generate paths for the 60º bit it does fine until the paths return to sharp corners to “refine” them (I’m guessing). This causes all the corners to get blown out. If you don’t have this issue and it’s a user error on my part I’m all ears. I would love to be able to get past this without buying additional software.
Thanks again.

Yeah, I use Easel Pro and have not had any issues with corner blowouts, unless I am simply misunderstanding what you mean by them. The only time I have an issue with anything is if my wood is not level and I end up with different depths of cuts. That’s my fault, though, for not planing the surface first. Here’s something I did a few months back. It was one of the first v-carves I did with Easel Pro. The notched corners and routed edge were done by hand,not Easel Pro.

3 Likes

Brandon have you done any releif carves with EP and v bits?
That seems to be where the problems arise.

1 Like

This is the only one I have a picture of at the moment. I scrapped it because I forgot to plane it first and the depths of cut became an issue. I also misaligned it so it was a nice learning moment for me. Maybe you can see examples of blown out corners that have been mentioned. I would have been perfectly fine with this sign if human error had not been involved.

I like that by the way.
More specifically I was looking for relief text done with EP and v bit, such as the stacked text wedding signs.
I have tried twice and both times there were errant tool paths that ruined the project.
There have been multiple other complaints on here as well.
I have given up on EP relief text with v bit.
Until someone can show me consistent success anyway.

That was all done with Easel Pro and a 60-degree v-bit, but I haven’t done any stacked text with the v-bit, only straight bits. Are your problems happening during two-stage carves or one-stage? If they are happening during two-stage carves, have you tried doing the same project using only the v-bit? Just a thought, but I’m sure it’s already been suggested.

I would never consider carving relief text with v bit only. If EP can’t do it I will use Vectric.
Did you do this carve with a single bit?
Think about how long that would take with a 60 degree v bit.

2 Likes