V-carving in Easel

So, when is it scheduled to be done? Just looking at the beginning of the thread, it has been “being worked on” for 13 months…

It’s a hard feature :slight_smile: We have a PhD level person involved.

6 Likes

Add my name to the list that is interested! And if you need someone to beta test, put me down for thatas well!

Zack, I would be interested as well for both vcarve and beta testing.
Thanks Kevin

I would be ecstatic with vcarve options in Easel. You guys are the greatest !!

@BobJewell well this particular person is an expert in complex math and tool path optimization so you’d probably want to feed him.

:open_mouth:

5 Likes

…caffeine and junk food I assume?

yes Please. I am running mac and would love to see this in easel. I dont want to have to dual boot or buy another system to be able to do this. thank you

1 Like

Add me to the list for testing if any soon that will be happening

1 Like

I’ve had success importing gcode from F-Engrave by removing the G64 command from the file. (Settings-General Settings-G Code Header)

I really want to test this feature when available.

Not that I have a PHD, but couldn’t a v-bit just follow a drawn line/path with displayed width related to depth?

That’s always an option if thats the look you are going for. Actual “V Carving” has Z axis movement as well. That’s how you get the sharp points and wider parts of the design/letters. If you just follow a path with a vbit you will get “circles” at the ends of your lines.

1 Like

Give this a read.

http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/f-engrave_calculations.htm

2 Likes

O i get it now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Too much maths. :slight_smile:

I still think it would be a useful feature.

I would be more interested to see (and I think easier to implement) at per control point depth control. This would give you V-Carve effect but you could control the depth at each point.

Point A: 0 depth (surface)
Point B: .05 depth
Point C: 0 depth again
Point D: .125 depth

Just my thoughts. Since EASEL obviously can already send depth commands, is it much farther to go to this?

Ooo. Could be under ‘edit points’ for a line.

Oh, I get it. Your picture explained it nicely. (I was a little fuzzy about 2.5-D before I saw it.)

1 Like

I’d like to be added to the beta when the feature is in testing! I was able to setup F carve on my mac, but it looks and feels like it should be running on a Pentium 386 (Like if you ever owned a Pentium 386).