Vinyl paint mask

@RobertCanning - Have you tried the stuff Inventables sells? I haven’t, just am curious if it does any better since they claim that’s what its for.

Simple shelf lining from home depot works for me. No problem on V carving as long as keeping spindle speed high.

have not tried it just shopping around.

I use US Cutter for all my vinyl products. Their Green Star line is a bit cheaper and works really good. They also have $9.99 Fed Ex shipping for your entire order.

thanks chris

In regards to the oramask 813, anyone that’s used it, how long do you wait after you paint before you apply the mask I read on their website to wait 3 weeks ,but that seems a litte excessive. Thank you

i have used it a few times and you need to let your paint be fully dry. maybe let it set overnight or 24 hours.

Thank you

This also depends on the paint. Some stuff has been dry after 24hrs, some seems to still be tacky weeks later.

I’d like to see some pics of it in use…

Just stumbling up on this, but that’s a great looking sign! Is that from plywood or mdf? Or something different?

That one was an aspen panel from Lowes. The lodgepole pine panels seem to work well too.

Ok so I have seen both Oramask 813 and Oracal 631 mentioned on here. Which is better and which do people prefer?

I’ve only used the Oramask. I think the biggest thing is allowing the paint to cure sufficiently.

OK cool thanks I was thinking of trying that instead of sanding off the top layer. I know about Phil’s technique using the oil paints and stuff but sometime I just enjoy the raw wood look. Thanks for the info!!

And just to confirm its 813 not 831 correct?

I use the 813 and it works great.

Yes, 813

Oramask 813 is a stencil product. It’s intended to be used as a stencil for painting applications. It should be your first choice.

Oracal 631 is a removable vinyl that is intended to be used as a decal/decoration. It could, however, be used as a stencil (and many people have done that) but it is not the intended purpose of the product. Since it’s a low tack adhesive, you can remove it without damaging any surface finish.

I am about to embark on using Oramask quite heavily on some sign products and hoping for good results.

I use the 813 all the time with no damge so far to the painted surface. Just make sure your paint is good and dry and as flat a surface as you can get.