Wasteboard hell

@GeoffSteer. Ok, here a couple of shots taken just after doing a carve without the dust guard (showing it off to folks at Xmas). Apologies in advance to those with beautiful machines, mine works well, cuts sweetly and accurately but it’s no oil painting. It does however work really really hard…

Keep in mind, this version of the table also kinda ‘evolved’ - I didn’t really have the final version in mind when I began. This is probably “Table V2.1”. One day, I’m stripping the whole thing down and doing it properly (in the interim, I’m too busy making sawdust).

The X Carve was built on a table that I decided was sufficiently strong and flat for what I wanted ($200 IKEA I believe). I did add a little additional wood for bracing and to take a few drawers etc, but not a huge amount. I fitted heavy duty locking castors (wheels) to each leg.

“Inside” the basic square of the machine, I placed an additional piece of hardwood ply, upon which the centre brace and the T Slot was screwed (through the ply, into the table and into the timbers below)

The image below is the front left corner of the machine (for me it’s 0, 0, 0). There is enough space at the end of each T slot to allow the bolts to be inserted and removed. Table top is black, the MDF is yellowish and the ply is white.If you’re wondering, the small bracket on the left side rail is for my polycarbonate dust shield to clip onto using rare earth magnets (shields ca be seen on the image several posts above)

This image shows the approx height of the MDF above the T slot and side frames. Whilst they’re overkill, using these clamps, I’ve never had a job move…

This image is the front, centre of the table.Visible are the first of the threaded inserts that run down the middle of each section of MDF. Note - these are VERY HARD. Be sure to lower them before resurfacing your wasteboard - I can promise you that your tool bits will appreciate the effort…

3 Likes