Today I finally bit the bullet and drilled up (or tried to) my 1000 wasteboard. I have been dreading this step and rightly so.
I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to cut the side slots and the countersinks according to the dimensions on the 30300-03 pdf, and decided on a plunge router bit to do the countersink part and then a skinny router bit to do the screw hole. In both cases I centered it up manually and then dragged out to make the slot. It’s only about the third time I’ve ever used my router, which probably contributed to the outcome, which was an absolute dog’s dinner.
I did a couple of practice holes on some scrap, which looked OK, but my real holes were as crooked as the local politicians and when (after many hours doing the 144 inserts) I tried to tie it all together I found out the countersink holes were too deep and I’m going to have to stick washers on all of the 20mm screws to tighten down the mdf to the rails. Of course the rails didn’t fit on straight either, so I spent several hours trying to adjust the slots, until I finally accepted defeat for today and will have another go in a day or so.
Regarding the threaded inserts, they refused to screw in flush with the back of the board, so I just screwed then in and then tightened them down with an allen key until the rim bits popped off, which probably wasn’t in the original design but ended up looking tidier.
Once again I envy those who live in the US and can just buy stuff and have it delivered in a couple of days, this home-made wasteboard has been a real challenge, at least for me.