What can I do with a large CNC?

I have very large (maybe 6ft by 9 ft) CNC that we have purchased from our neighbor. He made it himself, but it is very sturdy and seems to work well. We also purchased a 1000 X-Carve from him. I have never used a CNC at all until a couple of months ago. So now, I am trying to learn how to use them. I’ve done a little with the X-carve and really enjoy it although I have a lot to learn about it. I am a Geometry teacher, so I enjoy all the math behind everything. Just trying my hand at making some signs right now. I am really wondering what in the world I can create with such a large CNC? Any ideas? Thanks!

Large commercial signs with minimal tiling required.
You could place a full sheet of plywood on the machine for flat pack furniture components.

1 Like

Big Signs.
Lots of signs at once.
Chairs.
Desks.
Tables.
X-Carve wasteboards
Arcade cabinets
Shelving
Doll houses
Dog Houses
Climbing walls
Cabinets
Lighting
Giant math manipulatives
Everything you see here, but bigger.
Etc.

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t thought about furniture components.

lol! Thank you! I definitely haven’t thought of all those! Love these possibilities!

Yes research flat pack furniture.
Lots of possibilities.

1 Like

A Boat

3 Likes

You could sell it to me and let me figure it out. :smiley:

6 Likes

Haha! Not exactly sure how that would work! :smiley:

Actually, we did think about selling it. But after playing around with the X-carve, I think it might be a pretty fun toy! Lol!

1 Like

Just curious, what does the big one have for spindle?

Honestly, I don’t know. But here’s a picture of it. Maybe you can tell me.

Not sure but it looks like it is water cooled.

I agree with Wayne. That looks to possibly be 1500 watt dc unit. It would be very quiet compared to the routers most of us are using.

1 Like

Probably 1.5kW or 2.2kW with an ER-20 collet.
What’s the machine controller look like? Is it a Mach3 controller?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s Mach 3 and I guess 2.2 kW. Here are some more pics. My neighbor was very generous hearted and he was in a situation where he couldn’t take it with him when he moved. It’s been sitting there for almost 2 years, because we haven’t tried to learn how to use it until now. Suddenly, I’ve been very intrigued.

3 Likes

Yes, it is cooled by water or some sort of coolant.

Looks nice.

So actually, we have decided to sell it. Asking $3000. If you are interested, please let me know. Thanks!

I wish I had somewhere for it.

2 Likes