What speed and plunge depth for MDF

I am about to do a project that requires me to cut all the way through 0.5" MDF

The recommended settings in easel for speed and plunge rate automatically sets it to 30 inch/min and 0.028 in per pass…at this rate this job will take me all night!

With the Dewalt 611 what speed and plunge should i use to do this cut with good results…at that plunge rate it will take 35 passes to cut the piece out!

I have tried searching and cant find a good answer.

Any help would be appreciated!

What size bit?

What size bit will you be using? I just did a bunch of 1/4" MDF with an 1/16" bit at a plunge of .0625 and a feed of 70 inch/min Dewalt 611 speed 1

and did you choose MDF from the materials?

I’ve been using a 1/8" two flute down cut bit at 1200mm/min with 1.8mm steps and it works great. Dewalt 611 at 1.5-2 for speed.

These are the bits I have been using while practicing with the machine: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B002YD7ZKY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I highly recommend getting a down cut bit for MDF. For fill thickness cuts it is not as much of an issue, but it will make a big difference on partial thickness cuts.

I cut way too fast on my XC with mixed results:
Cutting plywood with a downcut bit

But one thing I have noticed when cutting at higher feeds, depth of cut seems to really effect the load put on the router / quality. With MDF you should be able to push things pretty far but I would not do a cut depth more than 50% bit diameter, probably more around 40%. Even less if you have not done a stiffing mod.