Wtf?!?! ugs!

SOOOOOOOO 1/4 way through my first “seemingly successful” Halftone photo carve UGS decides to just stop and hold my bit spinning in mid air … I heard it UGS is buggy but geez its my first run using something other than Easel to send code, for some reason easel wont accept the code generated by the Halftoner program…BAH!!! venting complete!!

I’ve read somewhere about gcode optimization also.

Be sure to set your computer to not sleep or hibernate. I have lost several jobs when a laptop shuts down/sleeps due to no inputs even though it is still running and sending gcode. Not saying this is what happened for you, but its something to check for sure.

1 Like

Ohh! I totally keep forgetting that happens [to others].

Try using Picsender instead of UGS.

2 Likes

I too have the same problems with UGS.
Mine will freeze up after a program is complete, or it will start moving in metric when it is set for imperial, etc.
I’m on the hunt also and am reading good things about picsender.
I guess the old adage is true, you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

If your running windows 7 and up, look at your power management settings.
I discovered that just because general settings are set to not sleep doesn’t prevent windows from putting USB and other components to sleep.
Dig deep in power management…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Most Stable version is the 1.9 I found. I never have problem with 1.8 as well.
Maybe it’s my USB port on my PC. USB 3.0 have no problems. 3.1 port is not good, 2.0 port needs external powered Hub.

UGS 1.9 + USB 3.0 works like a charm for me.

1 Like

I dunno it was weird , bit just stopped moving, I’m on a Mac running windows 7 pro in a virtual machine, when it did it my screen was asleep , I changed power settings and restarted the job I was also able to change feed rate as I was running petty conservative before, bout it stopped again like 3 min in, I closed UGS and re opened it and ran the job one last time to completion 54 minutes total… it may me be USB power as well as sleep as well as the UGS version …

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a VM to send the code? Is it because you are designing on the VM? Seems like it would be better to transfer it to the mac and send that way, eliminate any possible issues between the VM and Mac. Never have had a problem sending anything (even large cuts) from my mac.

I’m sure someone else will have another opinion here since VM has always worked for them, but in my opinion, id start eliminating as many “middle men” as possible if you were having issues.

1 Like

Sorry I wrote that reply as I was lying in bed still half asleep, yea I use aspire in the vm but I use UGS for Mac.

I think it was because my computer went to sleep …

2 Likes

Yep, I have seen a ton of posts where a computer going to sleep has that result. Sounds like you are already in good shape and know how to fix it then!

At least something’s getting some sleep … I’ve been up till 2:00 am almost every night since I’ve finished assembly !!

1 Like

Sleep? Who needs sleep when you have BLUE LOCTITE!

1 Like

lol I have blue loctite stains on my work bench shirt and carpet because I kept dropping the bottle while trying g to stay awake!!

1 Like

Inventables seriously needs to replace the grease packet with blue loctite …

1 Like

Only if @PhilJohnson gives them permission.

2 Likes

I think Phil owns stock in Loctite.

1 Like

Ya know, he’s gonna slip up and give out his mailing address… and get a case of Loctite in the mail.