X-Carve Bench & Enclosure

I will definitely post about how it works, in case it can be helpful to anyone else.
I did pick up 10/32 bolts and wingnuts for my new dust shoe. Slip/press fit just didn’t leave me comfortable… I like security. :smile:
I may end up making the extension of the dust shoe with either a leather “fringe” technique, as I’ve seen shared before, or I might end up harvesting groups of bristles from a broom and attaching with hot glue by hand… either way should work. I just need to focus the air flow around the tool a bit more, and I should be golden.

that both looks and sounds great cory, really nice work. Please let us know how the dust shoe goes. Also, have you stiffened the X axis at all?

I have not stiffened the X-axis. I’ve seen some posts where people had done that, but I haven’t seen any flexing in mine, so far.
What has your experience been?

Nice Setup :slight_smile:
I am thinking about building something like that myself.
I have two questions:

1. Does it reduce the sound a lot?

2. The Dewalt is fine with being enclosed? It does not heat up a lot? (For instance in a milling operation of 2 or 3 hours)

Thanks!

Thanks for the questions, Martin.

Yes, the enclosure dampens sound a great deal… you can have a normal tone conversation with it running nearby. It’s nowhere near silent, but it does kill just about all the high-pitched whine from the router.

As for heat, the router will get warm from running so long, but I use a shop-vac on a reduced speed (using a router speed control) to capture the powder-fine dust, so the air ends up being circulated out of the chamber over time as it operates.
I will be moving to a full dust collection system when I move (4", high flow dust suction at back of cabinet with inlets cut in a row across the front to keep airflow moving over the table toward the rear)… and that will definitely keep the air circulating and fresh.

1 Like

I see,

Thanks for the answers!

I am considering making a more heavy-duty enclosure with 2 layers of MDF and, inside, acustic isolation material, and only a front double acrylic window. I am unsure, though, if having the vacuum connected without other holes, it can create a problem. Because My enclosure will be pretty tight and closed all together to minimise noise. Do you think is necessary to let small holes somewhere to create air-circulation? (this would be against noise reduction, though)

But do you have the Dewalt611? or the Quiet Spindle?

But then, isn’t it slower to carve?
I still don’t know the rules to set speed and so for different materials…

Yeah… you don’t need to go crazy with thick materials or double-layers or sound-dampening material… once there is any barrier at all between you and the router, it gets much more quiet. Don’t over-engineer this… it’s not necessary. :slightly_smiling:Have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @coryales :slightly_smiling:
I will let you know how this turns out

I see, thanks. Can’t wait to try mine.

So you always let it be at speed 1, and just cut with whatever other settings that easel recommends? or you do ajust the passes somehow with a formula or reference chart? (Excuse my super newbie questions in advance)

1 Like

That’s awesome…

So, not to get too far off topic, but is that cork under your XC? I was considering adding some to mine, but wasn’t sure if it presented any unique new challenges like leveling …

1 Like

Interesting! :slight_smile: Nice to know!

fill in gaps of unevenness in my table

You ought to consider making a torsion box. It’s a fun weekend woodworking project.

Nice! Are you bolting your wasteboard to the table?

Have you thought about it?

Jeeze! That’s going to be awesome! I can’t wait to see it.

1 Like

For 31" x 31"?? That’s not bad at all.

1 Like

Just got my X Carve 2 weeks ago, Am I glad I found this post wasn’t really looking for it but came across it on pinterest I will definitely build this type of enclosure. thanks for sharing, I don’t have a 3D printer so I will need to find another way to create the C dust collector. Great ideas thanks again.

Honestly, I am not always using my 3D printed dust shoe… with the Shop Vac tube (slight angled one), it works just fine. Don’t fret. :slight_smile:

1 Like