X-Carve Bench & Enclosure

Hello. Anyone knows what is the maximum height that the 1000mm X carve with the dewalt611 will get to?
I am planning my enclosure, for dust containment, and I found nice Black DM boards that are 50cm Height, and 1000mm width, so the height of the enclosure will be around 50cm. Is that enough?

Thanks !

Sounds good, because it looks like 17" to 18" will clear the 611 at max height. Your black DM board is over 19.5"!

Thanks!,

Hahaha,
I just turned the spindle in setting 1, without the bit. Just to see how it is. When you say “white noise” is it because you see colors in noises? ;). Because It doesn’t sound like the “white noise” in the common meaning as I thought.
It makes the same noise as my Bosh dremmel and it is pretty loud…

I made my table 44in by 44in. and it’s just too small to put an enclosure over, my grand father always said measure twice cut once.
Cheers

ps when you finish your project please post pics. Thanks
MB

Oh no. :frowning: Yeah, the dimensions I published with my original post were just about as tight as you’d want to get.

@MichelBrunette, my dimensions are tight as well. What I will do is to put some angle brackets (maybe 3 per side) that I can use to extend the size of the tabletop which will then act as the seat for the enclosure.

Smart move, I was thinking along the same line until I realize I have a wall on one side. :frowning:

Coryalex I was wondering do you have or would you be willing to share your enclosure plans ?

Thanks for writing to me. :slight_smile:
I already published my enclosure dimensions with my original post… check it out…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am new to CNC machines. I do a lot of leather work and some wood working but nothing extravagant. I purchased one and would like to get the table ready for when it gets here. Hopefully you don’t mind me bothering you about your set up. I like it and its clean.

whats the dimensions of the back section of your enclosure. the part that doesn’t lift? i didn’t see a measurement there.

I see what you’re asking, now. Yes, the back section. Well, I split mine 25% 75% (so about 12" deep for the back part and the remaining 36" for the front), but you should ensure that when you split yours, you have adequate height in your room for the front part to be raised… then base your split on that. Basically, don’t make the front part so long that when you flip it upward, it won’t fit in the room without hitting the ceiling.
Also, ensure your back part is anchored down with brackets and/or screws to the base, so raising and lowering the front part is safe.
Have fun!

Rory while you’re waiting for your X-Carve I recommend that you look into building a Torsion Box to put it on. Very important if you’re going to get serious about CNC. This video explains the basics;

1 Like

Here’s what. Have so far. Got the xcarve 2 days after purchase so it’s just sitting in boxes. Did you drill holes in the rear of the table for shop vac hoses and drill holes to run wiring? What type of shop vac should I use? I like the angled tip that your running on your xcarve.

That’s looking really great!
As for my Shop-Vac, Yes, I did drill a hole for the hose to pass through. I mounted the curved “uptake” directly to the router bracket using proper bolts through the pipe… but I’m about to move to a dust collector solution.
The Shop-Vac’s duty cycle is designed to be short, so it gets hot quickly… even with a router speed control. I’m planning on putting the 4" line on the back of the enclosure to the Dust Collector and then putting a series of 1/2" PVC pipes across the front… I’m hoping this will cause incoming air to sweep across the work surface from the pipe inlets on the front, moving air toward the back of the machine and toward the dust collector pipe.
Dust Collectors have a longer duty cycle, and move more air volume… and my problem has always been the baby-powder-fine dust… should be solved, now. :slight_smile:
Another tip for running the shop-vac (which I set below the table) is to remove the shroud over the top to un-restrict airflow out of the vacuum… that hood (where the handle was) restricted flow and made the unit heat up faster.
Do keep me posted, as I’m enjoying watching how your build is coming along. :slight_smile:
I’ll post photos of my Dust Collector solution when I get it done.

So your saying don’t waste my time with the shop vac… What type of dust collection do you recommend or are you getting. I’m new to this so pardon my ignorance.

I’ll do some research and see what I come up with

I have a 2HP Harbor Freight Dust Collector I bought, but I think it may be too much, and I don’t want to run it continuously (rated at 15 amps). So, I’m looking at one that’s the same design that’s only 1HP (rated at 8 amps) on Amazon… here’s a link…
https://amzn.to/3JFbXGF

I think it should be adequate to keep a flow of air over the work surface in the enclosure and capture the fine particles generated. I’ll probably still use my table-mounted shop-vac for cleanup inside the enclosure… just not for continuous use.

Are you using it with a dust shoe… I see this “suck it” shoe going around for 80 $ people are saying good things about or are you just setting up airflow type system inside the enclosure? I’m interested in what your thoughts are for this system as I build mine. I’m tight for space and early in the build. So don’t want to start something that won’t really benefit me. Lol.

I tried a dust shoe, and I designed a number of “air redirectors” for my router to help with shop-vac use… but I’m going to try going with just a general airflow system that moves air from the front of the machine (openings across the front of the machine just above the height of my X-carve’s table) and the exit to the dust collector at the rear of the machine. Even having the shop-vac right at the location of the tool, too much dust was being blown around the enclosure and escaping, because of the router’s cooling fan (which also clears chips). I’m going to stop fighting the router’s fan, let it work, let it clear chips, and let the fine dust get carried to the rear of the machine (hopefully)… and I’ll clean up the big stuff between jobs using a shop-vac (manually).
That’s the plan, anyhow. :slight_smile:

So are you going to drill holes in the front of your enclosure lid and put the dust collector in the rear , in essence trying to create a vacuum of air flow to the rear of the table? Or do you have a different idea for creating the airflow from front to back?