X-Carve Workspace Showcase

Wow…what a monster of a “Waste” board…lol

1 Like

I like a lot. A little less forgiving, you will know when your into that! But very sexy! :clap:

1 Like

What did it cost to get that made up? I assume they just threaded all the holes instead of using the inserts.

1 Like

Approx 480 Euro for the Aluminium board, 130 Euro for the Boellhoff Helicoil M6 inserts,plus the carving from the board. Ill Put helicoil m6 inserts into the holes.

The top is done and the sides and back are installed, as is the first of two sliding doors.

2 Likes

Still slowly putting the xcarve together just waiting on soldering iron. In the mean time finishing attaching the mdf to the top with threaded inserts and button head screws in the recessed spots. Also just ordered the extension cord that will supply power to the work bench. Completed the blower wiring to the toggle switch but by time I reduce from 1 1/4" to 1/4" there really isn’t much pressure so may leave it at 1/2"

2 Likes

Here’s my workspace. Been assembled for a while. Not as clean as some of them, but it works

3 Likes

Progress has been slow, but is being made. The upper part of the trim is done. Now it’s on to the bottom part.

3 Likes

Great minds think alike because my table looks a whole lot like @nickhomlich. We both have pegboard on the sides and are both using the same adjustable glide/caster.

Here are the pics. First off, I did create a torsion table top and then used spray foam to foam each chamber.

The final product:

The 1x4 edge is 1/4" proud of the torsion table top and I used 1/4" thick solid rubber matting for the final top. It doesn’t have much give and I thought it would be a good gripper for the X-Carve so that it didn’t decide to shuffle off anywhere. Last I added a hanging keyboard drawer and a Helmer drawer unit from IKEA to hold bits and tools. I like having the lower shelf for storage of big things, too.

1 Like

Best thing that can be said about my workspace is that it keeps the machine off the ground.

1 Like

Really happy to finally be building my work space for the x carve 1000mm version. The dimensions to my work space are a bit big coming in at 51 inches x 50 inches.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Should I make it smaller now or will I appreciate the extra space later

?

Thanks.

The only downside of a large table surface is that you’ll tend to use it to store ‘stuff’

I deliberately made my (torsion box) table top to be just big enough for the X-Carve.
Of course I still put ‘stuff’ on the spoil board so the theory doesn’t quite translate to practise.

1 Like

I made my torsion box 46"x46" under the same assumption… No space for clutter means no clutter, however I have become quite skilled at stacking as much crap as possible in the tiny space at the front and sides of the machine :smile:

Nature abhors a vacuum…

1 Like

I wish I had made my table top larger than the exact size I needed.
Next time…

what would be the exact size needed? Is that what your talking about?

1 Like

I had to build my worksurface sooner rather than later as I ran out of space while building it on a folding table. :slight_smile:

I’ll probably add some shelving and storage in the near future, but I had to build something quickly so I could complete the build.

I also made a quick video of the project in case someone wants to build something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuHT4nKMC4I

Paul

2 Likes

Ok finnally finished my fold up work table. It is all made from things i just had lying around so not the prettiest. But very strong. I tend to over build. I am confident i could park my car on top of this thing and it wont budge.
Start with a tortion box. About 4’ x 4’ from 3/4" osb i had an extra sheet.

Fill it with insulation. Why? No reason. I have a bunch of extra cut offs and thought it couldnt hurt. But im sure it does nothing

It sits upright just from its own wieght. This thisg could hold up a house.

Add hinges used 1/4" lag screws with washers. I figured this would be a stress point so i went heavy duty on the hinges.

Add some folding legs. Just some 2x4 with some pocket holes holding them together and some regular door hinges. I also added adjusting feet to them

I finnally added some more scraps to enclose it. They look like junk. But as you can see some paint does wonders.

7 Likes

functional scraps are just that… functional.

It doesnt matter what it looks like, as long as it works for you.

Personally, I think it looks great! Like a Murphy cnc!

2 Likes

Agreed. Im realy glad i painted it though. And yes murphy bed style was exactly what i was going for. I want that cnc seriously protected. Just never know what may come flying (or I may throw) through my garage. And this way the wife can still park so everyone is happy.

1 Like